1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberhome DVDR/RW DX162D-A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by havingfun, Jan 5, 2005.

1. havingfun

havingfun Member

I have heard horrible story about this Cyberhome DVD DL burner. I only had HP 300n DVD+R burner for long time and wanted to buy DL DVD+/- R burner so when I saw this Cyberhome DX162D-A burner for $89 + tax at Best Buy along with $40 rebate, I bought it. With horror story about this burner, I was fully expected to return it within couple of days. And yes it performed horribly right out of box. No matter what media that I used, only 1 out 5 was successful. I was ready to give up but gave it a last chance to visit its website www.cyberhome.com to see if there is any firmware update. And I updated to latest firmware,,voila,,now this burner is smoking, able to burn successfully to even el cheapo no name brand cheapest blank media. So any of you purchased this burner and got frustrated, give it a firmware update and see if it fits your need. This burner is keeper for me and hope it will continue to do well.

2. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

3. havingfun

havingfun Member

So far every blank DVDRs that I throw at it burns well without adding any coaster to my collection. This drive is definitely will stay with me for awhile. Hope you have a good luck with this drive just like me.

4. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I purchased this drive from Best Buy. It had the 100F bios but I upgraded to the 120F located at the manufactures web site. Burned several DVDs top speed one after the other with no coasters and they even play in a DVD player, ones burned with my old Sony burner would not. The DVD read/rip speed is right along with my HP external – starts out at ~3.5X and works its way up to ~6-8X on most DVDs. I would still like to see a DVD rip at 12X, the highest I have ever seen is 10X on my old Sony with the hyper drive software but that was only 1 DVD most are right along with my HP external. Record Now Max does not recognize the recording speed so it is listed as Min – Med – Max. I have not tried the Nero version that came with the drive. I am so glad to be out of the 4X burning speed, now I can sit and watch my DVDs being burned instead of watching a movie LOL! Looks like this drive is a keeper.

5. mp4037

mp4037 Member

i have had this burner for about ten days and have not been able to write at all! Does anyone know where there is some support for this model. I, like the above poster also bought at best buy with the rebate. I have updated the firmware as well. I just keep getting an error that the burned failed.

MP

6. havingfun

havingfun Member

Like I said first post, I had a many trouble burning any dvdrs when I first tried out right out of box but as soon as I upgraded firmware for Window XP from their website, I haven't had any trouble burning into any blank dvdrs. That's all I did to make my burner working good so maybe you should look for other hardware conflicts, defrag your HDD, etc.... There are some good advice in AD forums under dvd-+drivers section. Hope you can find your conflicts. What blank media did you used? Although I was able to burn even very cheap medias, maybe your configuration might like different media. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  7. mp4037

mp4037 Member

I am convinced that this DVD burner is junk!! How can one tell for sure? I have tried everything. Support has not been very helpful. I get different error messages. I finally get a burn successful but nothing can read the disc. Just a simple archiving of photo images. I am new to using a DVD burner although I have used cd burners extensivly. Does anyone know where their is a basic tutorial on using Nero Express to archive raw canon image files to a DVD?

MP

8. mp4037

mp4037 Member

After updating the firmware the burner is working much better and by using only quality media the burner has been working great.

Mp

9. geoffc

geoffc Member

I just had this player/recorder installed in my PC and there is a problem. There is no sound on DVD playback but there is with CD playback.

10. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Had the drive for some time now and still no coasters. I must have burned over 200 DVDs tons of CDs and not one problem. I am going to try some DL discs soon, as soon as I get some that is, they are still $$$. Burning problems can be caused by many things, more than likely you have a problem with your other hardware. I have a P4 2.4GHz and a raid array HD config. Mode 0, Asus MB and 512MB Rambus 1066, GeForce 4 ti500 and MB sound, 2 Nics and IEEE1394 card. Never burned a bad disk with the cyber drive. The sony and HP on the other hand have made many – The HP is the worst! 2 MF refurbished units later and finally a working product that still floats a coaster now and then, I just use it as a reader now. If I were you I would try the drive in another machine and if you get the same results send it in for a MF refurbished one, you should have a 1 year warranty. If that does not work, then my next suggestion would be to go buy a Sony vio with a DL burner and go to town. Hay – if my mom can buy a vio and back up movies “Anyone Can!”.

11. ChristyJ

ChristyJ Member

I've had this burner since Christmas 2004 and it worked fine for a long time, but a few months ago I started having MAAAD problems. Almost every time I burn a DVD it says it was successful but then the disc ends up blank, but I'm not burning in simulation mode. I use DVD Shrink and Nero Express 6. I contacted Nero, and they said I needed to update the firmware, which I did, but it still wouldn't burn. Even more weird is that it does burn a disc every once in a while, but mostly not. Anyone else ever have this type of problem?

12. mp4037

mp4037 Member

I had similiar problems. The firmware update (140) seemed to help for a while but then i started having all types of problems. I finally sent the unit in for repair and I recieved a new one just a few days ago. I am still trying to find the time to test it and see if everything is ok. So far it does seem to be preforming better but it doesn't seem to recognize the cheap COMP USA Media (DVD-RW). I have tried several burns with this media and have a similar problem where as i get a "burn successful" but then nothing can read the file or I get the "please insert disc" When I try and read the file.

Mp

13. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

After having this drive for a while I have found that the drive does not make reliable CDs any more. In fact every time I try to burn a CD it reports an error during burning. I then repeat the same process and I get the same results (Coaster)! The same brand of CDs burn fine in my HP external drive. The Drive still makes flawless DVDs but only on name brand blanks. Generic blanks report as not verified after burning some are worse than others.

The problems I am now experiencing with this drive is most likely normal as I have burned over 2000 DVDs on it and perhaps it is time to retire it to the big used DVD drive collection in the basement.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005