1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CyberpowerPC...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by esrever, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it'll be a long while, don't ask now, ask then, the technology changes too much. What I recommend you now will be very unlikely to be top dog when you come to buy a motherboard.

2. haskins69

haskins69 Member

very true!!!! but that said could you still point me to sites to help in keeping the system I have now running ? I mean other than this site , do you know of any that have knowledgable people that will be willing help me keep my system running ? I've been to ASUS site [tech support and forum ]and while the tech's seemed more willing to help more than I'm lead to beleave by others post , they are slow to answer and I'm not much for waiting day's for answers!!And the forum of ASUS and cyberpower are full of well meaning, but unknowledgable people looking for answers to!! and just as a example when I went to ASUS forum for the "CPU INIT" error, I got answers ranging from "put the battery in backwards to unplug everything and do a rain dance and then plug it all back in in a certain order and then if it post flash the BOIS. personaly I found the backwards battery and rain dance funny, but of no help. and while the unplugging and replugging may work [for some it did and others it didn't work] so I'm assuming that something in the process is the right thing to do , but that they are not really sure either what step it was so they list all they did [rain dance included ] that worked for them!!!! and I'm really looking for a site that has smart enough people to tell me what the error codes mean, and how to resolve the issues that they point to. I've learned enough to know 1]that NVIDIA chipsets and drivers are a big part of the trouble but that what I have and have to work with 2] vista still has issues but that's what I have and like xp in time [hopefully ] microsoft will fix the issues , sp1 did help some . 3]that ram brand,type, speed, ect... can cause alot of trouble but that a BIOS flash in time [ when ASUS figures out how will fix that] and I really hope that that is what cyberpower is doing to get my system back up and running so I don't have to do it since I've read horror storys about it from some and how easy it was for others , and well I've never done it and I really don't want to learn the do's and don'ts of that on my main system. well the be honest I'm looking for a group of others more knowledgable than me that I can learn from!!! So if you know of such a group of people, throw a brother a bone and point me in the right direction!!!! thank you for your time to this point TONY

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The official PC building thread. There are many people like myself that post there regularly, they may be better suited to helping you out. Having had scarcely better luck with Asus than you have, I haven't bought anything contemporary from them, but others certainly have. Be advised though, everyone's first response is likely to be 'get a better motherboard' - nobody here likes the Striker series very much, and it's situations like yours that are the reason why... Some of us had a bit of an argument in that thread recently, it would be good to have something we can work together trying to fix to help 'heal the wounds' so to speak.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  4. haskins69

haskins69 Member

Thank's again ! I'll look there in the future.I tracked my system w/fedx and it arrived at cyberpower at 10:41AM today [Cali. time ] and since I've been such a pain in their ass and have E- Mail address for president[ John YU ], head of tech[Danny Lee ]and tech manager [steve Du] I E-Mail Danny Lee today [since he now personaly deals with me if he's at work or I get told he'll call when he gets in next day . and he does call]and asked him to send a note or E- Mail telling me what they did to get my rig running so I can post answer to this issue around , and I also asked point blank where does he look for answers, and if that doesn't work where does he look then! [knowledge is power] I let him know while his techs are polite and try to help they just don't have the answers[their main answer is to change the motherboard or pop out the battery ] and that I was looking for a source of knowledge so I didn't bother his techs or him I'm still waiting for a answer on that, but I beleive them being a good sized company that that is their standard fix ,to just change the part instead of trouble shooting the issue. since thats a quick simple way to solve the issue for them..but well see what he say's! I have faith he'll get back to me , but I also have faith in the fact that he won't contact me till he fixes my rig, and then I'll probely[my spelling sucks] get double talk on the answers I asked for

5. haskins69

haskins69 Member

just a heads up ,I found this on : Engadget
    and since It is some what where our talk's were headed I thought I'd share this
    All NVIDIA 8400M / 8600M chips faulty?
    by Nilay Patel, posted Jul 10th 2008 at 3:07PM

NVIDIA's stock took a pretty big hit last week when it announced that "significant quantities" of "previous-generation" GPUs and mobile and communications processors were defective and that it would take a $250M charge against earnings to repair and replace the affected chips, but the company didn't say which chips specifically were faulty, nor how many. That might be because the problem is much worse than it even sounds -- according to a report in The Inquirer, every single G84 and G86 GPU in the 8400M and 8600M series of cards is affected. Apparently both chips share an ASIC, and the core design suffers from the same heat-related issues. That certainly implicates a "significant quantity" of chips, all right, but this is just a rumor for now -- one that's probably best handled by NVIDIA stepping up and letting its customers know exactly how big the problem is.

[Thanks, Rich]

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I did see it yes, but it doesn't affect you much...

7. haskins69

haskins69 Member

Yes It appears at this point it doesn't affect me but the fact's are not all in yet !! but if the general design flaw has been carried on though the newer versions it may affect many.
    OK new buisness
    first a question[ you know I had one]I probly know the answer already, but here goes.
    why is the 680i chipset good and working in EVGA boards and not ASUS? I'm guessing either some circut design flaw or[ and this is what I believe is right] is it the BIOS versions? or this just came to me [ you know thinking what you said in past while I type ] is it the circutry in the striker series of boards? since I've had trouble with both 680i and 780i in the striker series!!
    next:
    cyberpower has contacted me to day wanting to know, just what error codes i saw on my system. so I gave them a run down of all I did and saw over the 2 days it ran [ I take notes as I install undates ,programs and drivers ] some thing I stated after 2nd striker extreme!!!
    and then I kinda gave him a challenge [Danny Lee ] I told him of the many like me who bought these boards in the hopes of the great things they offered. and that many were sadly disappointed in their high dollar investment. and about how ASUS, and you fine folk's here on these farious different forums didn't have the answers either, and that some [and I know these post are meant to be funny ] were resorting to voodoo and rain dances to fix their boards!! I just told him to solve the issue and tell me in detail how he did it and just like I trashed them ,I would post the good to giving all credit to cyberpower and him [Danny Lee ] for the fix !!! now I know what fixes my pile of parts won't fix the next guy's [ ram, video cards, and cpu's of different models when combined in different ways will react differently] but the info might give others a place to start on the road to fixing their pile of parts . I haven't heard back yet but I felt that was only fair ,since I did trash them quite harshly at their home and other places on the web . but I still stand by my result's "I did get their attention and I am getting personal service by head of tech dept and the C.E.O. did call. so the end did justify the means.
    dinner time to go I'll check back soon .

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not working that well in EVGA boards either, but they're less common and better made.

9. haskins69

haskins69 Member

well that makes since !! just got message from cyberpower, seem that little waterpump on cpu was faulty and my board was doing right thing it shut down to stop further damage. the one time I got it to post after the error started PC PROBE II gave me false readings and said all was ok or it was running, but went back out for good, when I laid back down that morning. he said they were going to check futher to be sure and he would get back to me. so I guess my case won't help many others unless they have same type of cooler on their system, hell you can't hear,or see the little bastard run you have to either meter it, something I should of done. but not all know how or have had another you could swap out to test. you know what I really need ? is a little book to go with that damn led poster that tells what the hell those *bleep* codes mean !!! I looked in book that came with it , it said "CPU INIT" meant cpu initiate so it told you nothing really, so I looked on asus site no further info.. gotta go back later Tony

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ugghh, I hate engadget. Bunch of Apple fanboys.

BTW, did you FIX the water cooling?

11. haskins69

haskins69 Member

I don't know much aboutengadget my self, their feed got put on my igoogle page. and I saw the artical about NVIDIA and thought I'd just post it since NVIDIA chipsets,drivers, and video card seem to be causing most people trouble, I know I've had my share, but I'mlearning that my troubles are not so much NVIDIA trouble, but ASUS striker series troubles, and no I didn't fix it yet I sent it to cyberpower to fix and they found the trouble right off. I should of ran meter test my self but, they paid shippng both way's so at least I will get 1 last check up[ really the only by them I've done all the other board and HDD changes myself] by them before my warranty run's out, and after the stink I raised after last board went out. I'm pretty sure they'll make sure it's right before they send it back to me, but If they ship tomorrow 7/11 I should get it back by Thursday.... Friday next week at the latest, now I've just got to look around for specs. on all my hardware, and get a newer multimeter , mines old and has many miles on it, and while I still trust it for house wiring and such and since your mostly testing for hot and neutal in a house, I mostly use a hot stick for that and if you really need to meter a house chances are you got big trouble and need to go over the circut or circuts well and you will find the trouble,but you need one thats more up to date to test the lower voltages, current , and resistance in a computer.... hope I wasn't to long winded, and hope that I answered you well enough................peace............later

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Foul language removed

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I spotted one that you missed :p

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, moderator wars? Don't turn into traffic wardens... lol