1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclic Redundancy Check error from DVD image

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by newmanm, Jan 15, 2005.

1. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

I just got a dvd burner and attempted to burn a disc image that was on my hard drive to a blank dvd-r with DvdDecrypter. Everything was going fine until 94% when I got a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error. I've searched around this forum and haven't come across my situation because I am burning a downloaded DVD image instead of copying a physical dvd. Is it possible the original disc image I downloaded is corrupt, my blank dvds are damaged, or the burner is damaged? I tried burning with nero 6 as well and got the same error in the same place. I'm new to dvd burning so any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Newmanm

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

This error usually means a damaged, scratched or dirty disc. It can also mean the optics in your burner are dirty, try using a cleaning disc to remove any crap off the lenses.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

CRC usually means a scratched or dirty disc. Is this an ISO file? Are you trying to make a copy of a copy?

You should be able to use Nero Express and use the disc image function. That should work.

4. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

It's an .img file of a movie I downloaded.

Thanks,

Newmanm

5. htigue

htigue Guest

Is the orginal disc from Sony or Columbia?

6. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

It's from Paramount.

Thanks,

Newmanm

7. htigue

htigue Guest

This is what I want you to do, download slyfox (anydvd) and reboot the machine. Let anydvd strip away the CSS protection, it should only take a few seconds to do so, then it will automatically open the folder showing you auto and video. On your dest top create a folder with the name of the movie. Just right click on the desktop and select new folder and rename this. Go back to your movie file and COPY this to your movie folder you just created on the desktop. Then run DVD Shrink this should work.

8. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

Before I do this I want to make sure that you understand my situation completely. This is a movie I downloaded. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that whoever uploaded the movie in the first place would have removed the copyright protection? Also I am actually able to run the DvdDecrypter burned Dvd on my home Dvd player - it just freezes with 42 seconds left in the end credits, and the theatrical trailer won't work. All subtitles and dubbing options work, and the directors' commentary works as well. It may very well be there is just a problem with this file. I am downloaded another DVD image and will see what happens when I try to burn it.

Thanks,

Newmanm

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that whoever uploaded the movie in the first place would have removed the copyright protection?

Yes, there will be no copy protection. What kind of files are they? When you say img., are you talking about ISO, Divx, mpeg, etc.?

Also, Do these files have a menu? Most DL files do not have a menu, just movie only. So, how are you getting subtitles, director's commentary, trailers, etc.?

I guess what I'm getting at is where exactly did this movie, that's on your hard drive, come from? It sounds like you are talking about an ISO file. That can come from a DVD in your DVD-ROM being ripped by decrypter or by someone else and then to you. If you can tell me exactly what kind of file it is, I'll be better able to help you. I was under the impression you DL'd it off the net.

10. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

Yes I downloaded the movie off the internet. When I downloaded it, it was in 94 .rar files. When I extracted it, it was one .img file. I used DVD Decrypter in ISO-Write mode to burn the image to a blank DVD-R. I'm now fairly certain that the .img file itself is corrupt because running it through DVDShrink in the video preview it got to exactly the same spot (42 seconds left in the end credits) then threw up the cyclic redundancy error. I have a second downloaded .img file that I am going to try to burn later today. I'll post the results here when I'm done. Thanks for the help.

Newmanm

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Try Alchohol 120. It has a free trial. Burn them to CD. I bet that works. It will at least let you know for sure whether the file is any good. I use A120 for my RAR files and it works great.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  12. newmanm

newmanm Member

Well, the second movie I downloaded turned out to be a corrupted file when I tried to unrar it, so I couldn't even extract the .img file to test it. On the other hand I was successfully able to backup a copy-protected DVD using DVDShrink so I'm pretty sure the problem was with the original file. Hopefully I'll be able to download an error-free movie to further prove this theory. I do have Alcohol 120% and was thinking about trying it if I continue to have problems. Does Alcohol burn .img files or does the file need to be renamed as an .iso?

Thanks,

Newmanm

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It'll burn RAR files just fine. I'm wondering, how are you extracting your RAR files?

14. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

I'm using WinRar to extract the image. It was kind of strange when I tried to extract the second DVD because WinRar did get to 100% then I got the pop-up that the file was corrupt.

Thanks,

Newmanm