1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclic redundancy check error with transferring an AVI file

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by helpppls, Dec 13, 2007.

1. helpppls

helpppls Member

hi
    well im a complete newbie
    actually i just joined today bcoz well ive had major problems before and instead of sitting around and sulking if decided to do something

okay so...

i frequently download tv shows and movies using bittorrent and they take up a big amount of disc space so i bought an external drive and im transferring all my avi files to that but when i try tranfer some files i get the data error: cyclic redundancy check and the files work fine

so can anyone suggest anything or help???

thankyou

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The cyclic redundancy check is a mathematical method of assuring that data transferred from one source to another is complete and accurate. When an error appears, that means that something does not add up properly and is likely corrupted: the transfer, the source file, the transferred file, or the medium holding the source. Since these files were download files, it is more likely that there is some corruption in the files themselves than in either the internal or external hard drives. If the files still play on the external transfer drive, I would not worry about them; but they pose a problem later on some other medium when transferred again.

3. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

helpppls,
    Run CHKDSK to find out if the drive is going bad (If you haven't already done so). To run CHKDSK, assuming you have Windows XP, click Start, then Run; Where it says Open, type in chkdsk and click OK. Let it run. Don't be alarmed by the WARNING! F parameter not specified. If no errors are found, you'll be sent back to the desktop.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

You can always try downloading the corupt ones again.