1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cylical Redundancy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Scarlet, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Using DVD Decryptor or DVD Shrink, I get the error message "Cyclical Redundancy". I am now unable to make any copies of my copies. The error message show up before copying begins.

Even Nero Recode will not copy the copies.

I even tried to just copy the files from a DVD copy into a directory on the hard drive -- I still get the "Cyclical Redundancy" error. It always fails to copy one of the files.

I now can't make copy movies of my copies that I copied a week ago.

The disks I'm copying are clean. The disks I'm copying to are clean too.

I am able to copy original movies.

This problem began after I reloaded Windows, DVD Shrink, DVD Decryptor, and Nero. I bought a new copy of Nero. I've installed and uninstalled DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, and Nero -- didn't help.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Anyone fixed it?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved.

What you're describing most likely means your burns are subpar. This can be caused by several thing such as low quality media, out of date firmware, burning too fast or multitasking while burning.

What make/model drive are you using? Firmware version?

Brand/type media being used?

3. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Media -- Memorex, and TDK

The problem seems to occur when reading the DVDs using the "JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166". When I read with my TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E, I don't get the "cyclical redundancy" error.

I'm not familiar with "firmware".

Thanks,

Scarlet

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

This error often occurs when the disc you are trying to copy is slightly damaged - enough for the reading/ripping process to halt. Sometimes the disc will look fine but the damage is often at a microscopic level. Decrypter and Shrink are basically telling you they cannot read the disc at a particular point/vector and therefore cannot rip the disc succesfully. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. The good side is it doesn't happen too often; say about one in 50 discs in my experience.