1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Link DIR-625 - Wireless is unstable, any sugestions?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by truno, Sep 1, 2008.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Insufficient wireless coverage is the main reason i moved all my kit from wireless to wired, and the only wireless devices are the 3 routers connected via WDS, everything else is ethernet. I live in a huge Victorian house with walls and ceilings thick enough to qualify for hosting a film crew for a batcave in a Batman film.

But that's just me, i think your problem is a combination of using a Draft N router with Vista, not sure i can offer much more help that includes keeping Draft N and Vista.

2. truno

truno Member

no no no I'm on XP I got rid of vista.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good choice... :)
    But if you've got really thick walls, wireless will be hopeless if it needs to pass through one...

4. creaky

5. truno

truno Member

Ok so I changed the channel on the router to channel 1 (had it on 11) and that helped allot but I'm still getting lag on the wireless.

I decided to go out and pick up a d link dwa-643 express card for my laptop to see if the broadcom card was the problem. after finding out that I have to use the windows zero wireless manager because the supplied d link software just doesn't work I got it up and running. Apparently it doesn't do invisible ssid's. It wouldn't connect so I broadcast my ssid and it worked.

now I'm still having lag issues and sometimes my internal network would be fine but I wouldn't be able to surf the web. WTF its to late to go hunting down solutions so I am going to chalk all my networking problems to the fact that D link is crap and I should have stuck with link sys.

with that being said the only thing keeping me attached to this router is the port QOSing. can anyone tell me a router in the 150$ range that does this?

I have an extremely high tx packets dropped. I did some research and it seems this is a router issue. It can't keep up with the transmitting speed. So I guess next up is replacing the router.

6. creaky

I don't know if any routers come with QOS abilities as standard, but DD-WRT firmware has it.. so my Buffalo & Linksys routers have this functionality via DD-WRT.. (haven't used it yet but it's there)..

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We use a cheap £40 Linksys WRT54GL flashed with Tomato firmware. That lets us split various types of data into low, medium, high priority etc. - it's not absolute, but it works well, and we've never had an issue with its wireless capabilities.

8. creaky

That's good to know Sam, for me torrenting kills non-torrent traffic (even though i don't use crappy stock firmware on any of my routers, only DD-WRT), but testing out QOS is on my to-do list. I now have a 3rd router that i occasionally hook up as a 3rd WDS node which increases range thru the house, but QOS is definitely something i still need to test out.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I say, the QoS isn't absolute. If we torrent hard on it, it can't keep normal traffic at a reasonable pace, that just isn't doable. However it does help, and it can monitor how much bandwidth is going out of certain priority groups, how many connections are running, and to where. The best thing to do with torrents is to experiment with what level of download and upload starts to choke whatever you're doing (for us it's online gaming so we have to be more strict to get decent pings), and then cap your client at that. Torrent clients can cap data transfer rates without incident. Cap them using QoS and although you get less speed, you don't really get much less lag.

10. truno

truno Member

Well my whole point of using my QOS is to have the torrents slow down when I'm surfing but have it speed up when I stop. If you cap the torrents via their apps you are slowing them down weather you need to or not at any given moment.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is what bandwidth schedulers are for...

12. truno

truno Member

Ok I have been doing some online research and everyone is saying that the dir 655 is the best router out there. So I will return my dwa-643 and pick up a dir 655. I'm going to put my dir 625 on craigslist regardless if the dir 655 solves my networking problems or not. I need to up grade to gigabit anyway. I'll hopefully only take a 20 dollar loss if I can move this router for 60 bucks.

bandwidth scheduling would only work if I only surfed during certain times. my internet usage is sporadic.

As far as my networking problems go my original intentions were to be able to watch a movie on my laptop from my desktop hard drive without the movie skipping using the wireless. Using the broadcom and dir 625 combo I suffered unbelievable lag and it would boot me off constantly. I switched to broadcasting only n and switched to channel 1 and it helped. still had issues so I switched to a dwa-643 and I can maintain a 300 mbs connection well (braodcom peaked at 270). I still can't watch a movie without it skipping so my next step will be to replace the dir 625 with a dir 655. I will post back my results when I get enough money to pick one up.

A question before I go, is the only difference between a dir 625 and 655 the gigabit capabilities?

13. creaky

Am googling now. so far -
    Still looking. Just read a review where someone used one for a few months, had great range and mostly praised the router; however like most reviews he agreed that you can't trust the claims re how many times over a 54g router the D-Link is faster than. Plus the USB port on the back is only used for 'Windows Connect Now easy configuration', don't know what that is though. It can't be used for attaching external hard drives, printers etc.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never managed to stream movies wirelessly, it just doesn't seem up to the task...

15. creaky

I find streaming works ok (for a while) via wireless, but i wanted stable streaming, hence why the only wireless bits n' pieces i now use are my 2 or 3 routers, everything else is wired to those routers, so i get the benefits ie coverage (without wires) that wireless provides, with the stability that wires provide.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, now try it with High-def...

17. creaky

Indeed, good point. I'm only talking non-HiDef..

18. truno

truno Member

Alright, I stopped by bestbuy last night, returned my d link express card and picked up a dir 655, I would have sprung for the 855 but they didn't have that one. I also picked up a a gigabit pci card for my wired desktop, that should eliminate the bottleneck created by 100mb card it has built in.

So far so good, The box says not to place the router close to speakers or monitors. I can move the speakers but the way my machines are set up the router has to be by my monitor. I have a flat panel not a crt so it shouldn't matter right? I'm only getting 130mbs through the wireless but its a stable 130 so i'm not to disappointed. I still have some testing to do

I turns out that my dir 625 is the crappy model. the dir 635 is the same price as when i bought the dir 625. the 635 supposedly fixes some issues the 625 has. I cant sell be cause no one is buying. so what i want to do is

set up an access point in my hallway using the 625. I want to use it as a repeater so I can get better signal when I'm in the back of the apartment. anyone have a clue as to how I would go about doing this?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You should be fine with an LCD monitor.

20. creaky

Well it's not yet supported by dd-wrt - http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23060&sid=b2b9a587f507ebef900d58eba441490a but i don't know if others such as Tomato etc support it as haven't used any of those.

I take it the 655 doesn't give good coverage then ?. Strange, my 2 54g routers give very good coverage, in a large Vistorian house to boot..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008