1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Link strength

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wwejunkie, Jan 15, 2007.

1. wwejunkie

wwejunkie Regular member

I got a d-link 524 and my signal strength is always low i put my computer right next to the door so its closer but when i first got it it was pretty far from the d-link and i was getting excellent connection...anyone no how to make it higher strength

2. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

The 524 is garbage. Hit it with a hammer, a very large hammer, then go to Netgear and find yourself a Wireless-N router. They're a bit more expensive than the 524, but signal strength and reliability are excellent, it uses Nortel technology, and it's pretty reasonable for what you get. You get what you pay for, and the headaches you save may be your own.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Netgear doesn't even qualify as garbage. I won't (and haven't) taken Netgear stuff for free. Along with Linksys, Netgear is terrible.

That said, I can't think of a way to increase your signal besides perhaps a booster or better antenna. Although it's possible for the transmitter to degrade over time, consider anything in your house that's changed. I'd also look into putting a cheap line filter/surge protector on your Dlink. Power supply problems can sometimes cause degradation of transmission performance.

4. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

Might be your preference, but I've used several Netgear with great results. Also, going to a "Next" or N router will expand the signal range significantly.

5. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member