1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daemon Tools problem.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Pangy, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I've been using DAEMON Tools for some time, and it's a great program for virtual drives.

Recently, I mounted a file that wasn't an image file. I don't recall the extension. When I mounted it, DAEMON Tools opened a window titled "Autoplay" and it had that little spinning flashlight in it, looking for files or something...

Anyway, this froze my computer. After this, any time I opened DAEMON Tools, my computer would freeze. I acted prematurely (I have no idea what I'm doing, if you haven't noticed) and deleted the file. Now, when I start DAEMON Tools, it opens the "Autoplay" window, and again, computer freezes.

This time, I figured I'd post here and see if I can get some help. The only thing I can think of is to delete everything that has to do with DAEMON Tools. When I try to uninstall, even if I go through "Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel, it freezes up.

Any suggestions?

2. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

No one has any ideas? _(*._.')_

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

4. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Thank you. I'll try this the first chance I get, and post with my results. I hadn't even thought of Safe Mode.

5. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

It took alot longer than I thought it would, but I finally got around to trying this.

When I boot in Safe Mode, I'm unable to run Daemon Tools at all. I think the message it gave me was "Unable to launch (something)". It couldn't open the program Daemon Tools, or the uninstall launcher.

One thing I found particularly frustrating is that in Safe Mode, Daemon Tools isn't in my "Add/Remove Programs" list, but in Normal Mode, it is.

I've now uninstalled every game that was linked in any way to Daemon Tools. I uninstalled and deleted all unnecessary files relating to it, but still, every time I try to load/uninstall Daemon Tools it opens a browser and my entire system freezes.

I'm out of ideas.

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Daemon tools is no longer free, it comes bundled with some REALLY nasty Malware.
    I'd say dump it and look for an alternative, or buy a license and be rid of the junk they stick in with the free version...
    Or start buying your games like most people do.

7. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I re-downloaded it last night, and tried to 'Repair'. Well, now I can't load any program, or open any full screen application. I wish I had read your post sooner.

Anyway, thank you both for the information and suggestions.

8. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

Try a different program, like Alcohol 120%...

I didn't know about the malware in Deamon Tools :0 says it comes out with add/remove though.

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

It doesn't, as some traces are always left behind.
    And trust me, i tested it on several computers and some Virtual Machines, always left traces of cr@p behind, deep in the registry.

10. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

It's even worse, 'cause I was stupid and wasn't running protection. I'll be starting from scratch, sans Daemon, and you can bet I'll be running protection and being overly careful to the point of screwing things up...sigh.

I don't know if it's because I wasn't running protection, or maybe it has to do with the file that always froze my system when it was affected by starting Daemon Tools...but at one point, Daemon wasn't even in my add/remove program menu, even though it was clearly installed (it was in my start menu, ffs).

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Thanks again for the help, everyone.
    I may look into Alcohol 120%, though right now I'm certainly not eager to take any risks with my computer...nevertheless, I'll try it out, and see if it's simple enough for me to work with.

Also, I hadn't thought of this before, as I was trying to focus on my anger hoping it would magically rid itself of me, but...has anyone bought Daemon Tools? I was just reading through the replies again to make sure I didn't miss anything, and it seems to me like you're familiar enough with Daemon's info, The_Fiend. I'm thinking maybe buying a license, as you mentioned, might be the way to go for me. (It's one of the few programs I kinda sorta understand...><)

11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, i personally prefer spending my money on the games, rather than pay for what should be free software.
    But to each his own, i guess.
    PS, Alcohol 120% would be a better investment.

12. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Hmm, was Daemon free, in the past? I never noticed a 'buy this program here' link, so I assumed it was free all the way. If it's just recently become a purchased program, is it because the makers wanted money for their work, or did they get bought by someone? :/

13. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'm not sure on why they've started adding Malware to the free version of the program, but i assume it's because they wanted money for it because it's used by sooo many people.

14. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

In any case, I hate them and I hope they encounter some kind of crisis filling them with self doubt as to whether or not they've been good people throughout their lives causing them to, in a raging panic, injure themselves in some way.

Alcohol 120%, here I come!
    Anyway, I'm starting to feel a little out of place, as I continue to respond to this thread more and more, though the conversation is nice and I've learned more than I thought I would, I'm not really bringing anything to the table, as I'm clueless without you folks.

I'll post a final update when I've reinstalled everything and looked into Alcohol 120%, probably a few days from now. And not to overstate my gratitude, but thanks again, everyone. Whenever I encounter a problem, AfterDawn has the answer(s). ^-^b

Oh, and nice sig update. (*'-')

15. pierrrre

pierrrre Member

Hi Pangy,

As far as I know, the program is still free. However, it does come bundled with some other "sh*t". When you install the program you have the option not to install these extra "options....." Daemon tool PRO will have a price tag attach to it. It is not out yet though. I have been using Daemon tool, free of charge, for years and never had any problem with it. I recommend checking their web site/forum. They have a good problem solving section.

16. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I remember seeing options for searchbars and little things like that, I know I declined it all though.

The format/reinstall is starting today. I never had a problem with Daemon until this, but this is a pretty big thing...I might look into their forums, but right now I'm frustrated with everything. Like I said though, before this incident, I was very happy with Daemon Tools. Looking back, it was I who tried to mount a random file and screwed up the program to begin with, and if I hadn't done that, I never would have re-downloaded Daemon anyway. This was more my fault than the program's, but this thread has opened some doors for me, and I'll consider my options once I'm reinstalled and clean. Nevertheless, I'm glad you posted. The more feedback I get, the better. I don't know much about what I'm doing when it comes to computer stuff, but I am trying to learn, and I've done more of that in my two threads of cries for help than I have in the last three years of screwing up my machines. :)

-Pangy