1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

damn pop-ups

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by shenfo, Jan 16, 2005.

1. shenfo

shenfo Member

all of a sudden my ie browser opens with this wierd site. wisenut.com. i have something bad on my compputer. all day it keeps on opening with differnt serach sites. lycos, google, yahoo, and others that have wierdo names. i ran norton anti-virus and it found all bargain buddy items. it coudlnt remove them, so i ran adaware, and it removed whatver it found but i still got those pop-ups. i put the comp in safe mode and ran norton and adaware there. they didnt find anything. i went back to regular mode, ran norton and found the scource files and deleted those from their and the recycle bin. i ran norton and adawre they didnt find anything. all of a sudden i get another pop up with one of the search engines. i going crazy.

i have a dell dimension 4600
    p4, 2.8, 512mb, 40gb, 80gb. windows xp pro
    norton 2k5

i forgot to mention i also ran spybot and i ran norton system works to fix my registry, same problemo.

ty for help in advance

2. Woz

Woz Regular member

Get a trial of Webroots Spy Sweeper, I have used it a few times and its removed almost if not all spyware I had on my computer. If that doesn't fix it, go to <start>, <run> and type this command: msconfig

This will bring the "System Configuration Utility" window up and if you look at the tabs across the top it will have one which says "Startup". In here are all the items that start-up when you turn windows on. Check the items in there that you are not familiar with and look out for items ending with .exe. Be careful what you untick though as it could prevent a system file from being run. Hope this helps.

Woz

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

download adaware. it is the best app at removing adware and spyware. it has probably rid the world of more crap than any other softwares combined. and its free.

4. shenfo

shenfo Member

if you actually read the thread you would see that i already ran it.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try cwshredder, spyware doctor, spyware blaster, ccleaner,hijackthis & spywareguard. use hijackthis to see what things are not supposed to be there

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Hijack This! can ruin your computer if you don't know how to use it. ALWAYS post your results in a Hijack This! forum before deleting the "detected spyware".

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Okay, I was drunk. Sorry. Don't have to be such a dick jackass.

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

You're joking around.. right?

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, I was joking. I don't start drinking until 6. I just overlooked one word in his post...oops. Shit happens.