1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Copies are being made

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Notashamd, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Notashamd

Notashamd Guest

As I'm viewing the first 100 or so almost perfect copies that I made with version 3.2 and my p4 system running xp, and reviewing all the guides, I can't figure out why the copies come out much darker than the original. Turning up the brightness on the TV doesn't help.

For example, Collateral looked fine on the original DVD. I realize that it was based on night activities, but the copy came out much too dark- - even when they were in brightly lit backgrounds. In the cab, the features on Tom Cruise's face were hard to make out.

Yes, I checked off all the boxes on Shrink that are designed to improve file quality and burned it at 4x, instead of the top 16x speed. Compression was at roughly 60%.

BTW, I tried burning both straight to disk as well as from an ISO image. No change in quality.

I've used Fuji, Memorex and generic dvds purchased from Staples/OfficeMax , all with same result. Would I get same result with any copy program- for example, XCOPY, supposedly the best copy program (for money)?

Any suggestions?

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

3. Notashamd

Notashamd Guest

Oh great lord and supreme ruler:

Forgive this ignorant lowly person for having first posted his request for help in the wrong forum. Other benevolent and more kindly spirits of this realm privately e-mailed me to inform me of this oversight and suggested that I re-post in this forum, the newbie forum.

To the other spirits of this realm I beseech your forgiveness.

Now, with that out of the way, any suggestions?

(It's amazing how anonymity in the etherworld makes indivduals think they are demi-gods. I go along with their delusions- - it doesn't hurt me but it sure helps them get through the day!)

4. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

pretty funny notashamd. i hear they eat the souls of the weak. for collateral, its a pretty dark movie. i just guard my orginal as if it was glued to my head. my best bet is to re-author.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Just got through watching my collateral backup this morning. Looked pretty good. I reauthered-main movie only using dvd shrink and nero. I watch all my backups,haven't watch any of the originals in the last 4 months.Ripped to my hardrive and let nero pull out the file to burn.I do use pretty good quality media,no cheap crap.

I wouldn't waste my money on x-copy, dvd shrink,nero,dvd decrypter,and anydvd work pretty darn good for me.I have read a lot of x-copy users turning to dvd shrink,nero, and dvd decrypter.

Did you use any of shrinks quality enhancements on that 60% compression?

Memorex and the generic media can cause a lot of problems.Depending on which fuji's you got,they may be a problem too. I get a lot of my media from staples,office max,office depot,and walgreens.I just look for Made In Japan on their wrappers. You'd be surprised by the many different quality manufacturers being used to produce most brands of media.

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

They actually suggested the wrong thing for you to do. Should there be any further lapses in judgement as to the proper place to post a question, please PM a Moderator and they will move it to the appropriate place for you. It helps to keep things a bit tidier around here ;)

7. Notashamd

Notashamd Guest

Thank you! That's the type of benevolent guidance that makes this place work!

To Saugmon: Yes, I check off the 2 boxes for quality analysis, etc. in Shrink 3.2. And it seems that you and I are using the same blank media!

To dvdripdvd: Thanks for the tip about souls, but I won't prey or eat theirs...I promise.

I'm going to try it on another compouter- - wonder if that will help? I must note that I do have a fast, loaded machine.

The darkness in quality even appeared in "The Parent Trap" (the recent remake, not the original) as wll as the Buffy the Vampire TV DVD series. Out of curiousity I reauthored and just did the first episode, which allowed me to have zero compression. I didn't see any difference.

Thanks to all who contributed here and make this community worth participating in! And if anyone has any more suggestions, post 'em! - - Thanks

8. Notashamd

Notashamd Guest

To Saugmon: Yes, I check off the 2 boxes for quality analysis, etc. in Shrink 3.2. And it seems that you and I are using the same blank media!

To dvdripdvd: Thanks for the tip about souls, but I won't prey or eat theirs...I promise.

I'm going to try it on another compouter- - wonder if that will help? I must note that I do have a fast, loaded machine.

The darkness in quality even appeared in "The Parent Trap" (the recent remake, not the original) as wll as the Buffy the Vampire TV DVD series. Out of curiousity I reauthored and just did the first episode, which allowed me to have zero compression. I didn't see any difference.

Thanks to all who contributed here and make this community worth participating in! And if anyone has any more suggestions, post 'em! - - Thanks

9. Notashamd

Notashamd Guest

10. Notashamd

Notashamd Guest

Folks! My response appeared 3 times but I did not hit send 3 times. I'm sorry for the unexplained problem.

11. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

Let the massacre begin! lol

12. Veblin

Veblin Active member

OK, so how about this little massacre.

If you post once and get multiple posts, it is usually considered the correct thing to do to edit the second, third, etc. posts. Removing the text from those other unwanted posts.

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I had this happen to me yesterday because of server hangups so I did just what [bold]Veblin[/bold] suggested and removed the text and my signature gif and left the words, Sorry for double posts, isp problems. :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/142301

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005