1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dashboard, backup games, auto installers NO LOAD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by RYHANN, Mar 16, 2007.

1. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

My 4 year old son has messed up my beloved Modded XBOX. He was on the start up screen with tray open and was deleting some files. When i told him to stop he switched it off.... Now when i switch on i get an error 13 (missing dashboard) trouble is i do not know ip address to FTP also although retail games still work my backups dont, tried auto installer and slayer but both wont boot up PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

can you get into any dashboard? If so you can set back up the FTP network settings and try that. You do not need to know what the IP was, but if you want to find out then just start your FTP program because you also had to put the Xbox IP address in there too
    That or if it is softmodded then you may have to re-softmod it (with AR max and SID 4.5 that way it will not have to read a disc to softmod).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  3. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

Even with the draw open i still get same error message no.13. Does the xbox ip address change ? as the settings i used before (only once to test if it connected ) no longer works. Does losing the dashboard usually stop backup games from working ? or is something else wrong ??? im using the same blank DVD-R i used for games for Slayer 2.7 Im quite new to all this only had it a week

4. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

BTW My XBOX is Hard Modded and everything worked fine before. Obviously i would like an easier solution but as a last resort can the hard disk be removed and put in my PC and then install everthing ???

5. steimy

steimy Active member

not knowing what he deleted it is hard to tell what could be wrong. Loading an auto instraller like Slayer 2.7 or AID 3.1 is the best option beacuse with it you can just format the drive back to retail and then re-install everything back on the hard drive. I do think you would lose all you game saves but at least the Xbox would work again.

Without being able to load any of that i am not sure. A chip can usually load a burned DVD right after it is installed. If you can not even get far enought to access the dashboard to change network settings so you can FTP then that option is out too.

another option may be sticking in a new hard drive and then using the auto installer to set that one up. If it can not do that then something is really wrong and you need to send it to a modding site and have them fix it. Chips usually store all the important info right on them so if hard drives or files go corrupt it would still load back ups and be able to accept a new hard drive.

Can you acess the chip settings and possible re-flash it? Then try the auto installer again.

he is what it says about error 13
    13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  6. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

Thankyou for spending the time in helping me, I wish i knew what my little boy was deleting but he panicked and switched it off before it finished. I do not remember what options were on the menu he was looking at (the one when you see when you switch on xbox with draw open). As you say i dont understand why it will only now except nothing but retail games if only the dashboard is missing. as i have said before ive tried many different discs and several versions of slayer but will not go any further than the error screen. If i changed the HD would i still have the same problem accessing the slayer disks ?. Also i have several games but none i can find dashupdate on do you know of any specific games that do. Once again i reallly appreciate your help.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

I wish i knew. I wonder, does your system boot to two different screens, one with the power button and the other using eject? One of them may have been the softmod installer screen and he may have deleted the softmod. which would explain why it will only boot retail. You can try what is called a "hotswap" and use your PC to rebuild the drive back to retail, then re-softmod it.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-hotswap-and-recover-a-hd-without-an-eeprom-backup-t91.html
    It is about the only way i know that you can recover without
    1. a modchip
    2. having your EEPROM backjed up on your PC already
    3. being able to load the softmod installer disc or AID 3.1

8. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

UPDATE......

Tried to go to downloads on Project Gotham 2 as suggested on another forum but it wont let me access until i setup account with xbox live...if i try and do this the xbox just reboots and the game reloads.......
    Ethernet cable is disconnected !!!

9. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

I thought my xbox was hard modded, but now i think i was wrong. A new larger hard drive has been put in but that i now realise is all. The only screen i get is the one i mentioned with the error 13 in the top lefthand corner. If i open the tray while playing a game this screen appears Immediately.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

well, you could always try to softmod it.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=4c3ff4e7e1802fa6899892963d16c543

You would need an original copy of one of the 3 games mentioned (not the platinum hits version), AR Max for Xbox, and to download SID 4.5 and AID 3.1
    That is a softmod installer (Softmod Installer Deluxe) and an auto installer (Auto Installer Deluxe)

They should both come with a PDF file that will walk you trough the whole process, and it is pretty easy to do. Problem is that you have to be able to load a disc, and get into the MS Dash to copy the game save file and SID file to the hard drive (unless by chance it is already there and not deleted from the previous softmod install. and you knew which of those games was used) to do it. So if you can load an original game it should work.
    I wish i could think of an easy way to get it fixed up, but you may just have to send it to a professions like Teammodders.com. I would have them install a DuoX2 modchip and then you will be much better off.

11. RYHANN

RYHANN Member

I have found a place in UK that will pick up my xbox, install DUO X2 and post back to me for £39.
    Would you recomend this and will i be able to get everything working again like XBMC and all my emulators. Thanks again for your invaluable help.

12. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, that is the same chip i have. The only thing you can not really do is use Xbox Live. You will get banned for a modded system.
    And if you have not already done this you can now install a large hard drive with ease. It takes about 10-15 minutes. The stock drive with it's 8GB of space is useless. I slapped in a 300GB and put all my games on it. Saves the laser, discs from damage, and gives faster loading times.
    Have you talked to the place you are sending it to and informed them of the current problem? I would do that just so they know that it is not fully functioning right. That way they have no excuses when they get it. But if they are good installers it should be no problem.