1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data connection

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by omronguru, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

1 major problem...im not with verizon, im with rogers wireless

2. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

It doesnt matter who you are with, this program enables you to put ringtones and wallpapers on a t720.

3. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

ok...i did everything it told me to do. but this gagin thing doesnt detect my phone in any COM port...I even downloaded the patch to allow me to connect through COM 5-8, and nothing. WTF is going on????...mobile phone tools detects my phone fine, but doesnt let me do ringtones or wallpapers...also this gagin thing doesnt install on my comp..i just downloade the file, and it opens straight away without any installation...WTF????plz help me!!...o & BTW isnt a COM port something like a printer cable?? I'm using a freaken USB connection!!! Thats not a COM port is it?..im in need of some MAJOR FREAKING HELP!!!...PLZ
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V7 PS2
    SwapMagic w/ Slide Card, CD Loader
    HP DVD Writer 420i
    Maxell DVD-R
    DVD Decrypter, Nero, DVD Shrink, Alcohol 120%[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  4. omronguru

omronguru Guest

xman,
    Your question about com ports, although you are using a usb port it still has to assigne it a unique name so will give you a port number under com port to find out which yours is connected to just right click the device in device manager and choose properties it should in here show you which com port it is using also check that it is a unique com number, I had a similar issue on my bluetooth dongle as it kept defaulting to com1, so conflicting with the serial port on my laptop, once I changed to com5 all was fine!
    gotta take the opportunity to say thanx to GeeDaddy, his knowledge on this stuff blows me away!!

5. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

XMan2004,
    unzip the Gagin Com Port patch then copy and paste it into the same folder as the original Gagin apploader. Double click on the patch and it will enable you to choose ports 5-8. Then open Gagin again and try port 5 1st. Before doing the patch make sure that your phone is not assigned to port 1-4. Before doing anything "power cycle" your phone while its connected and windows is running.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  6. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

i already did that..i patched everything. it doesnt recognize my phone in port 1-8......and ports arent for usb connections are they?...and how do i go back to COM 1-4?..and what does "power cycle" mean?..i opened another program called media manager...and it detected my phone as being in COM 5....when I tried out all the different COM's in that program...it said Motorola P2K Modem found in COM 5..so when I try COM 5 for the umteenth time in Gagin....it doesnt work!!!!!!...update: on gaging, when I select COM 5, it takes around 10 sec for the error message to come up. it says searching for device in that COM port, but for every other COM port, the error message just automatically comes up...so I think i can see some hint of my phone in there...but GAGIN cant detect the bloody thing!!!!..I mean media manager detected it in COM 5-but i cant put nething onto my phone with that, mobile phone tools lets me sync my calander & contacts, but doesnt let me put ringtones or pics onto my phone, and GAGIN just totally doesnt recognize my bloody phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...oh god, im so stuck here..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V7 PS2
    SwapMagic w/ Slide Card, CD Loader
    HP DVD Writer 420i
    Maxell DVD-R
    DVD Decrypter, Nero, DVD Shrink, Alcohol 120%[/small]

7. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

XMan2004,
    This is a rather unusual predicament. Re-boot your computer then "power cycle" your phone by turning it off and then log back into it. Are you running XP? If so try "right-clicking" the Gagin icon in its folder and opt for 98 or 2000 emulation. Then try it again.

P.S. Everything connected to your computer is considered linked through ports to your OS, whether its your mouse, speakers, phone, etc.

8. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

doesnt work..i dont know..mayb ill just give up on motorla, and go with nokia or something

9. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

XMan2004,
    Don’t give up so easily. You know how these things are, it’s usually something simple that we are both missing. Did you download and install the USB driver from the Gagin page?
    http://www.beavermjr.com/t720/software/index2.cfm
    If not it could be that Gagin cant communicate with your phone through the P2K driver, which shows it as a modem. Hopefully we wont have to go the PST & EMSmanager root. Because now I'm determined to get something on that phone!!!

10. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

doesnt work....im going to go to the retail store that sold me th phone, and see if they put a lock onto it or a firewall of some sort...the same thing happened with my WAP browser, when trying to put free ringtones onto it...it wasnt letting them go in...maybe my phone isn't compatible with anything. i've literally given up...if nothing works, then i might as well get my phone upgraded...

11. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

That is strange that you could not download anything through WAP also. Does the Mobile Phone Tools you have tell you what version software is installed on your phone? Anyone have a link to Motorola PC620-Mobile Phone Tools? A friend of mine said that is what he needs. I would try the PST version 6 first though from the Gagin site:
    http://www.beavermjr.com/t720/software/index2.cfm
    If none of the software you have installed allows you to load anything on your phone uninstall it all and start over. I think that the P2K software has linked your phone to the serial modem driver not the USB driver. Did you try to go into your device manager and uninstall the phone, then connect it back up to see if it is instantly recognized? Anyone else out there have any ideas? We need to resolve this for the next person!

12. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

i am now 100% certain that it is my phone. The motorola t720 doesn't support this stuff. As I mentioned b4, I did it with a v300, and it worked in seconds. i'm most probably going to get my phone ugraded to a v220..hopefully, I won't have the same problem

13. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Hey XMan2004,
    I hate to see it go like this. Many people have been able to access their T720's without a problem. That aside, the V220 is a nice little phone. You might want to browse their selection though 1st if trading in. I remember reading complaints about the V220's screen having bad contrast or something similar. Have the salesman let you play with one 1st to see if it’s acceptable. Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  14. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

i guess that i'm just not one of the many...the thing is, the store that I can go to gives me cheap prices, and I can upgrade my phone to a v220, v300 or v600. I don't want the v300, becuz my dad already has it, and i play around with it a lot, and i know everything about it...the v600, is over my budget so thats gone, so I'm left with the v220. it looks like a nice piece of work...camera, speaker phone, global communication, downloadable polyphonic ringtones, etc, etc...its ice...but ill definatley check out the screen problem u told me about...listen thnks a whole freaken lot for tryin to help me out with my phone...if i have problems with my new phone, i know who to go to for help..again thnks..

15. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

guess what geedaddy...im back, and askin for help. ok i have the cable for the motorola v220. the thing is, when i attach the cable to my comp, my comp doesnt recognize the phone. i tried restarting and everything...i have the latest mobile phone tools, and that doesnt have my phone listed in the phone directory. can u plz help me?

16. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Hey XMan2004,
    Sorry, enjoying the holiday weekend :) Is it the USB cable, and did you make sure that the USB driver for Mobile Phone Tools is loaded?
    http://www.siterocks.com/Default.aspx?tabid=29
    This one is most likely not the latest but should work. Let me know if that solves it?

P.S. I take it that the display contrast is acceptable!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  17. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

nm..i got it to work...u see, mobile phone tools (the latest version) doesnt recognize my v220. becuz my phone is new, and not listed in their directory yet...neways, wut I did was that, I tricked my comp into thinking that my phone was the motorola v600..and it worked..i can now prefectly put tones, and wallpapers onto my phone....also, my data cble only works for the v60, v60i,v66, t720, v300, v600 and some others..doesnt work for the v220...but, I had a usb cable from my SONY mini disc player, and it fit, so i used it...and flawless....and the contrast is perfect...but my bro is really pissed off because he still has the t72o, and cant get it to work...

18. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Wow XMan2004,
    Your turning into a regular mobile phone technician! :) That's what it usually takes, some determination and a little ingenuity. Glade to hear all is well. Take care!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  19. wizza86

wizza86 Member

Hi there
    When I plug my V80 in to my USB port using the data cable the computer instantly recognises new hardware "Motorola V80" it then asks for a location of the driver. I have downloaded a driver for the phone USBMOT2000.inf and specify my inf directory as the location to find a driver.
    It automatically finds a driver but on completing the installation comes up with this error...
    "The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."
    I have mobile phonetools installed on my computer also.

20. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Wizza86,
    The driver you downloaded does specify that it’s compatible with your V80. You might want to try another driver 1st before doing anything else. Try the USB driver on this page halfway down:
    http://www.motclub.com/html/drivers.htm
    Also if you still have problems "power cycle" the phone while its connected to the computer.