1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data connection

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by omronguru, Aug 23, 2004.

1. rdropps

rdropps Guest

I have read all the replies to this post. I have the V220 and have no problem getting ringers or graphics to my phone.. The problem I have is the games? How can I transfer the games to the phone or can't I do that? And if I'm able to transfer a game how do I know where it went on my phone? I saw on my mobile phone tools it only have two folder showing on my phone. Audio and pictures? Shouldn't there be more? Please help? Thank you

2. James001

James001 Member

I doubt it. I'm not sure about other service providers, but I know that Cingular charges around $3-4 per game (yeah, it's a ripoff...) and I'm sure that Motorola understands that most services probablydo the same. I would guess that in order to get these services to carry their phone, Motorola would attempt to please them by not making it easy for you to do such a thing. Now, if you want to do some serious software development, you may be able to hack something together by sniffing USB activity and figuring out the protocols involved in transfering files to and from the phone. I hope I'm wrong and that there's an easier way :)

3. rdropps

rdropps Guest

I posted earlier and would like to know how you can transfer games or even screen savors to my phone thru computer to phone? If you where able to do that or no? I already have the games but can't figure out how to get them to my phone. I can do ringers and wallpaper no problem. Without having to go to a web site to pay for it. thank you rdropps

4. waqas9

waqas9 Member

hi Gee Daddy

i just read ur messages in the begining of the forums
    and u adviced a guy to download a motorola v600 software for his v530 phone can i download tht one for my v220 phone??? here is the link u provided http://www.mob453.com/phones/motorola_v600/

i tried the other way by downloading the mobile tools 1.23 and upgarding it with 2.21b and i also installed the p2k 2.3 i start of by installing the p2k first and then the 1.23 but tht doesnt install fully it terminates in the middle saying "DLL Function call crashed:pbk Install._Get books names: SETUP WILL TERMINATE" i tried downloading the 1.23 for other websites too becauese i thought maybe the file would be corupted but im getting the same result

Could you please help me i would really apperciate it
    i read the whole forum before asking you this question.im completly new at this

5. ttmactt

ttmactt Member

hi you guys I was wondering if anyone of you know how to get ringtones or games or anything for a metro pcs nokia 2270 phone? if so please help out

6. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Waqas9,
    The links you showed is for flashing your phone:
    http://www.mob453.com/phones/motorola_v600/
    I am guessing that you just want data-connectivity of which Motorola Phone Tools is what you want. If you keep getting an error I would un-install all of the item's and start over. This time install the 1.23 and then upgrade it to 2.21b before installing the P2K package. Oh, and by the way. Are you running XP SP2?
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/112650
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  7. puzzled

puzzled Member

Thanks GeeDaddy and Xman2004 and also with thanks to this forum i can now put ringtones on my other halfs phone (thumbs up to you all), can i now ask how to do the same with the mp3 or wav files.

8. cahiker

cahiker Member

Xman2004, I have a V60T (ATT) and an aftermarket USB data cable. I want to use the Mot Phone Tools software to upload phone numbers to my phone. I went to http://www.motclub.com/html/programs.htm and downloaded and installed Motorola Phone Tools 1.23C and then downloaded and installed the upgrade to 2.16 English. These software packages appear to have the p2k.sys included and they install them on my Win XP system.

When I start the software up it tell me to plug in my phone, which I do, and it correctly detects that it's a V60 (of some sort). I can open the modem communications window and see the AT commands flying by and everything looks fine there, however after the phone is initialized, the actual software does not work. It does nothing. I tried to dial a number from the software but it will only take a couple digits if you're lucky and then will not accept anymore. If you try to connect to read or upload the phone book, it will fail, but again, on initialization, I can see the AT's going by just fine and the software even read the EIN of the phone and displays it.

One thing I did notice in the AT commands is that the software keeps periodically trying to set the phone into the GSM mode. However, this is not a GSM phone. It's ATT so it's TDMA. I wonder if this is a problem.

Anyway, the computer does talk to the phone to some degree but none of the functions of the phone tools software are actually working. Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks !

9. waqas9

waqas9 Member

thnx tht did help

wht i actually did was when i installed the 1.23 tools when i got the eroor i pree ctrl+alt+delete to cancel teh program and then i installed the latest 2.21b tools on top of it the software started working perfectly it go connected and evrything but then for the past hour or soo...it just says initializing...i did a live updtae and updated the software evrything but it still says initialising i also have the p2k driver 2.3 but i duno wht to do with it it doesnt install automatically i mean whenever i click on it it says open with...and then i dont noe wht to open it with my phone is v220 it also didnt ask for wht phoen i have althought when i connected my phone it teh software started loading but it just says initialising

someone pleaseee help

10. cahiker

cahiker Member

11. cahiker

cahiker Member

Xman and all, I installed the software on a windows 2000 machine and it does the same thing. The modem talks to the phone to a limited degree but the software is unable to communicate with the phone book or any other feature other than initialization. The phone is a V60T, not a V60iT. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  12. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Waqas9,
    It sounds like you need to re-install everything. I hope I understand you correctly in that it was running fine until you did a live update. Delete the program and re-insall it and if it works dont do the live update; "if it aint broke".
    CaHiker,
    I think you might just need to try a different driver. But 1st what are you listing your phone as in the program because I dont think its listed? Try the V600 setting and see if that makes a difference. If not then try one of these USB drivers:
    http://www.motclub.com/html/drivers.htm
    If your already using the P2K driver then try the regular USB driver, visa versa.

13. andy25

andy25 Regular member

hi i have a kyocera kx414 im thinking of buying the data cable so i can transfer ringtones to my phone i want to know what i need the transfer ringotnes to my phone i do not have mobile web on my phone though so i need a detailed list of wht to do thanks

14. ttmactt

ttmactt Member

does anyone know how to get ringtones for a metro pcs nokia 2270? please help

15. Limeroo

Limeroo Member

Hi, I would just like to take a moment to thank the people of this forum for all the info given to get PC connectivity to the Motorola V220. After a frustrating hour or two, I was able to get everything to work.

Thanks MUCH to Xman2004 and GeeDaddy.

Here's a quick rundown of what worked with me:

Note: If you have Win XP, you cannot have SP2 on it (it won't complete the install of the Mobile Phone Tools 1.23c software).
    Note: The system I tried it on is Win XP without any service packs.

1. Driver install: P2K Driver 2.3. If the motclub site is not working, try this link: http://www.motorola-c650.spb.ru/stored/publications/606/download/P2K_driver_2.3.zip

If that doesn't work or goes down, search P2K Driver 2.3 in Google and poke around for one.

2. Mobile Phone Tools 1.23c (English). Unfortunately, I tried the FTP link (ftp://ftp2.bvrp.com/motorola/) and could not get it through there; I ended up searching for it in Google. Good luck.

3. Maj_mobilePhoneTools.exe from the FTP site (see above). I ran this and nothing happened for me. Just wanted to put this step in, in case it really did something. =)

4. mobilePhoneTools_2.21b_US-exe from the FTP site. Installed it, then restarted my computer.

5. Poked around with that for a while, and the phone was automagically recognized. I did not need to select V600 as my phone. It took a while, but it recognized it and allowed me to transfer files.

Note: You only have about 1.2 MB of free space, so try to keep those MP3 ringtones short, convert to mono, and 96 kbps or less. The speaker isn't very high quality anyway.

Variable bit rate MP3s (at least with Lame) did not work for me. Used the Lame MP3 encoder.

Good luck everyone! And thank you all again!

Edit: I'd like to mention that I have done only the following transfers: images (JPG, GIF) and audio (MP3, MIDI).

For all those looking for games or screensavers, I did not try them (my phone is full hehe). Good luck to you!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  16. Limeroo

Limeroo Member

Hi all. I have more news for you guys with SP2.

You may not be able to INSTALL the Mobile Phone Tools software on a Windows XP SP2 system, BUT, you can copy it from a system that has it already installed.

Example:
    System 1: WinXP
    Sysetm 2: WinXP SP2

1. Installed Mobile Phone Tools software as described in my earlier post onto WinXP system.
    2. Get the phone to connect with the WinXP system.
    3. Copy the directory "C:\Program Files\mobile PhoneTools" to the computer with WinXP SP2.
    4. Run the software on the WinXP SP2 system.

You'll find that it works. I just copied it to my laptop with SP2 and it works just fine.

Good luck!

17. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Limeroo,
    Good looking out on the workaround! I'm sure that information will come in handy to quite a few. Now I'm just waiting to see what happens to BlueAndy in regards to his dealing with Motorola UK:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/112650
    They will have to create a patch or workaround as SP2 is not going away, and telling a customer to uninstall it just to use their software is bad business practice.

18. BBM

BBM Member

Hey guys,
    I have the Motorola v525 and I have a huge problem.
    I "upgraded" the v525 to v600 through the Flashing and Flexing at http://www.mob453.com/phones/motorola_v600/
    and the software said it was successful , BUT when I turned on the phone it has no display! It makes sounds but the internal and external screens are black! I NEED HELP PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO?
    PLEASE HELP ME....

19. James001

James001 Member

Send your phone in and have it reflashed is probably all you can do.

20. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

BBM,
    This is exactely why I dont get into explaining Flashing or Flexing because you can end up with a dead phone. Find out what your original firmware was if you can, or which Triplet you need then down load it from here:
    http://www.phonecrap.com/flex/
    or here
    http://www.phonecrap.com/flash/
    "At least I hope the one you need is there."
    Data connectivity is one thing, but for those intrigued about installing different firmware or what-not on your phone "DONT GO THERE" unless you have knowledge of what your doing. Flashing of Flexing your phone renders your warranty null & void. Therefore if you mess up and cant fix it yourself you end up paying premium to fix or replace, as most of us get our phones cheaply through service contracts.