1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Error Cyclic redundancy check

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tinione, Feb 11, 2004.

1. tinione

tinione Member

Hello everyone, this is the error that I encountered trying to use Shrink on a dvd that is not encryted. It actually said "failed to read file:/E data error(cyclic redundancy check). My next step was to try again with decrypter. It got 50% encoded and stopped. Decrypter error:
    I/O error unrecovered read error
    Device NECDVD+RWnd1100A (this is my writer)
    Sccistatus 0x02
    Interpretation: Check condition
    CDB 280000iE7D3000000100
    Interpretation: Read(10) - Sector:1998128
    This DVD will play in all of my players both stand-alone and PC. My burner works perfectly. I burned two movies prior to trying this one and two addition movies after this one failed. In the ISO read mode in Decrypter, the size of the movie is 8,045,690,880 bytes. Does anyone have any ideas as to why a simple unencrypted movie could not be burned?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Cyclic Redunancy errors are usually caused by scratches or a dirty disc. Clean and inspect and try it again.
    Your reader is reading a lot faster than your DVD player.
    50% is right near the edge of the disc on a DVD-9 so I would look closely there for paw prints, gravel, gouges, teeth marks, dents etc.
    Frank

3. tinione

tinione Member

Thanks FasFrank. I had no idea how sensitive burners are to dirty dvds whereas my players didn't seem to care if it was dirty. I will bathe the disk and she what happens.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Your Welcome,
    Let us know if this was the problem. 99% of the time thats what it is.
    Im sure "Cyclic Redundancy" is an accurate discription of whats going on but it would be a bit more clear if it just said "Can't read the disc, it may be dirty or scratched!"

Cheers,
    Frank

5. tinione

tinione Member

FasFrank, you were right. Cleaned it, burned it, moved on. Thanks again.

6. Lurker

Lurker Member

I've tried cleaning the disc, but it's spotless and I keep getting the "cyclic redundancy check" message at the exact same spot every time I try to backup my disc (at 53%). I've had no trouble with other discs and was wondering what the problem is the other 1% of the time? I'm using DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5. Any suggestions?

Thanks

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Lurker,
    Every now and then I get a disc that does exactly that. After I clean and carefully inspect it, I still get a CRC error. I will try and run it through DVD Decrypter and see if that will read it. In the last case, after 60 attempts to read the sector I elected to skip it. I ended up missing an .IFO file. I attempted to repair what was left using IfoEdit but was unsuccessful.
    If you are ripping a DVD-9 look for the defect near the outside edge. The last one I had the problem with was a single layer "flipper" with a tiny but deep pit in the middle of the track.
    There are disc repair kits that might work and 321 studios has a $50.00 disc rescue tool. Its a lot cheaper to just replace the DVD. http://www.dvdxcopy.com/DVDXrescue.asp

Good luck,
    Frank

8. Lurker

Lurker Member

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! It's good to know that other people (who actually know what they're doing!) have had the same problem. Now I know it's not just stupidity on my part...

Thanks again!

9. mfurj

mfurj Member

There is a way around this with Shrink if cleaning doesn't help. Create a second temp folder, and using the start and stop points, burn the disc as two seperate movies. End the first a few frames before where it hangs up (Enable video preview and you will see exactly where it sticks) Start the second disc a few frames past the sticking point, and go to the end of the disc (Output this second "movie" to your newly created second temp folder) Then using Nero 6 add video files for both. If the file is too large you can use Recode to compress it to fit on one disc. You lose a few frames in the process, but you get a good, working backup.

10. Lurker

Lurker Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I upgraded to DVD Shrink 3.1 from 3.0 Beta 5 and I had no problems... Weird... I'll remember the tip for next time!

Thanks

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi mfurj,
    Dang, why didn't I think of that!

That suggestion has my vote for cool idea of the week!

Cheers,
    Frank

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again,
    Thinking a bit more about it, you could even use the browser in Shrink and put both in the compilation window and then let Shrink auto-burn it with Nero.

I use this method to assemble different scenes and chapters from various DVDs.

Frank

13. mfurj

mfurj Member

Hi Fasfrank
    Actually I fell into this trying to backup an old disc that I couldn't replace. Worked pretty cool.