1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Execution prevention message. Help Please.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by byngo, Jul 30, 2007.

1. byngo

byngo Regular member

Hi there,
    I have recently had a DEP message from Windows XP Pro. It comes up when I open a Divx file I copied to my desktop (from my 2nd HDD and download location. The file is opened with "Creative media Source organiser/player). I have also recently installed FFDSHOW from the links on the home page here for the codecs to view the Divx.
    I have run updated AVG anti-virus, Spybot, The latest Windows malicious software removal tool and SDfix from safe mode. None of these reported any problems. The DIVX I downloaded was checked with AVG before opening in the first place.
    Should I be concerned about my PC or not? Is there anything else I should run to check for malicious code?

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

Ok, Shame nobody could help but for anyone else who comes accross this DEP message from windows, I narrowed it down and solved it myself.
    It only occured when attempting to open video files of any file format and any software and read similar problems occuring from codecs or codec packs.
    I removed FFDSHOW (which I had installed for DIVX playback)and the problem went away.