1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Rate in Hanbrake?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by KeyLee19, Apr 22, 2010.

1. KeyLee19

KeyLee19 Member

I started over on converting as I think I like the MP4 quality far more than the .AVI, I have been using Handbrake doing batch conversions of hundreds of movies. However, since I will be loading all these movies on to a my book and playing them through my PS3, I was wondering what sort of data rate I should be aiming for to prevent studder in video playback? This is slightly the size per length video I have been following-

1:30 Mins. Size 1500mb
    1:45 Mins. Size 1550mb
    2:00 Mins. Size 1650mb
    2:15 Mins. Size 1700mb
    2:30 Mins. Size 1850mb
    2:45 Mins. Size 2000mb
    3:00 Mins. Size 2000+mb

Ive noticed playing things back through PS3 anything really over 2000bit rate seems to flow pretty smoothly. Is that what I need to aim for or can I go lower than that as I am trying to fit about 1050dvds onto this 2TB my book? Also does playing from a mybook though my playstation slow down playback anymore than having my mybook plugged into my PC and playing back on there>? Or would playback be the same speed playing on both the same as I know it would be much quicker playing if it the MP4 file was on the computer being played directly. Thanks!

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The PS3 is more than capable to play off the USB...
    Do you use 2 pass encoding?
    I have done full movies at no more than 500Kbps,2 pass high quality settings, around 500MB per movie, and it still looks very good, I am happy with the quality.
    Just experiment,take a movie with plenty of action scenes and encode it to around 800MB-1GB and see if you like the quality.
    Here's what settings I use(not sure if all compatible with the PS3 though, I guess you can encode short samples to check them out):
    Code:
    0=1:0=1:me=umh:merange=24:b-pyramid=1:bframes=3:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:analyse=all:trellis=2:ref=3:no-fast-pskip=1:deblock=-2,-2:subq=8

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. KeyLee19

KeyLee19 Member

Ill have to give your settings a try. I built a new computer recently and it encodes pretty quick compared to the forever long times before on my older computer. I can usually get about 3 movies an hour at around 1500-2200mb in size so I am trying to make the videos as best quality as possible to where all 1050 can fit on the mybook. In the picture tab I have been putting container as MP4 anamorphic strict cropping automatic. The video filters tab I didn't change any settings from default. The video tab I have been using the H.264 at 25FPS 2-pass encoding and turbo first pass. Target size I have been putting in based on the time of movie/size listed above in previous post. In Audio tab im using automatic source AAC (faac) codec Automatic Mixdown and Auto samplerate 160 bitrate and I have not changed any of the settings in Subtitles chapters and Advanced. Would those settings be giving me the highest optimal quality or do things need to be changed in my configuration or even in the advanced tab that I didn't mess with because I didn't know what they did? Thanks cyprus.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  5. KeyLee19

KeyLee19 Member

last question I can think of. I was looking at your settings and I have figured out what all of them are with the guide you gave me except the 0=1:0=1 what does those 2 settings have to deal with in the advanced tab?