1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data vs. Video

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rahsten, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Rahsten

Rahsten Member

OK, I searched and searched but couldn't find an answer. I think it's maybe too simple of a question or it isn't relevant outside of Japan (where I live).

DVD median here in Japan is labeled to be specific for backing up DATA, while other DVD's say they are specific for Video. I've tried TDK(TYG02) Data Type and Mitsubishi(MCC02RG20) Video Type to backup PS2 games and both media work decently, TDK perhaps a bit better.

So, my question...what is the difference between media stating it is for DATA or VIDEO? Does it really matter? Why do they label it like that? And, if there is a difference, which type is recommended for backing up PS2 DVDs? DATA or VIDEO?

Thanks

2. salinger

salinger Regular member

I am not sure about the differnce. I am sure however that Data DVDs are the best becuase when you burn a PS2 file it is standard in ISO format. ISO is basically a bunch of data files that are extracted during the burn process.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

There is no physical difference in the media themselves (except that rewritable video versions may include CPRM). In Japan there is a levy on video discs to offset any "losses" by the copyright holders. The levy does not apply to data discs.

CD-R digital audio disc are physically different from data CD-Rs in that they include a setting in the ATIP section identifying them as capable of recording in home stereo recorders.