1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dazed and Confused - Need Help

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Zenwarior, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

I purchased the Panasonic E80H DVD recorder which it claims supports DVD-Audio. SO far I have purchased 2 DVD-Audio discs and neither will play out of ALL my speakers. I have a Sony 5.1 discreet receiver and the BOSE (am 15?) speakers with powered subwoofer.
    No matter how I configure the Panasonic I can not get anything through the back speakers. My DVD's play fine. The receiver automatically detects the audio.
    Does DVD-A require the receiver to have DTS? My receiver does not have DTS. Is that the problem?

Can someone help me out?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The 5.1 channel output from DVD-A is set up in the player, and depending on the disc will usually be output in analogue.
    You cannot get 24/96 down a digital line in multichannel.
    It sounds to me like your system has been set up using digital inputs, yes? Do you have 6 analogue inputs on your Sony reciever?
    You also really need 5 full range speakers, as the LFE is not bass managed in DVDA.

3. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Yes - My DVD system has the optical output to the receiver. Should I be using the RCA jacks out?
    My Bose system has the 5 speakers plus the subwoofer. I have a center, 2 front & 2 back. Is that what you mean?
    I am not too sure what you mean as far as the "You cannot get 24/96 down a digital line in multichannel"
    Does this mean that I need to create an analogue connection to hear through every speaker?

Thanks for your time and patience.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Yes, you probably need to use the RCA jacks.
    You cannot send 24/96 multichannel down a digital connection, as if using say lightpipe, the best it can achieve is 4 channels of 24/96 due to limitations in the format. When it was developed, it was designed to carry 8 channels max at 48KHz. To get 96, you use either DS(double speed) or SMUX,both of which do the same thing and use 2 channels of 48KHz carrying half of the signal which is recombined in the reciever.
    If you hook up with the RCA's, all should be well.

5. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Thanks

WIll give it a try. I want to experience this DVD-A the way it is meant to be.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No problem sir!
    Anything I can help with, will be happy to oblige.
    I love DVDA, and cannot big it up enough.

Wilkes

7. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

I wnet online to Panasonic and looked at the manual. I see that there is no direct output RCA jacks other then the regular red & white. I thought I had the individual outputs to each speaker.

Does this mean I am out of luck? Is this just output to a stereo device?

Is there anything I can get to give me what I am looking for? I just purchased the Panasonic E80H and I love it. It has the 80 gig hard drive that I wanted.

Thanks again.

8. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

PS - My Sony receiver has the RCA inputs for each speaker, but I am using the optical input for my DVD and Direct TV and my mini disc etc.

So the inputs are free on the receiver.

Does that help?

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Just looked this beast up on the web, and DVD-Audio playback is restricted to Stereo only.
    Sorry, but that seems to be it.

From experience, as a player only I can recommend the Pioneer DV565, as this does the lot. DVD-A, DVD-V, SACD, R/RW, photoCD, everything. It even reads all 9 DVDA groups, and a lot of players don't do that.

Best check on full DVDA support will be the 6 RCA outputs. If it has those, it is usually full DVDA.

10. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Bummer.

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It's a real shame, as the specs on it look very good.
    A serious question please - how is the playback of discs recorded on this machine when played in a different player?
    I ask ''cos I've heard that some recorders will only allow you to play the copies back on the machine they were made on. Is this true of your machine? If not, then I may well be in the market for one as the 80Gb HDD in it would store a lot of stuff.
    Also, does it record to DV AVI, or simply squirt out MPEG2 to the drive? Is it CBR or VBR?
    Sorry to pick your brain, but someone who already has one is going to give me better info than a salesman!

With thanks

Wilkes

12. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

This machine is great. I have a Panasonic portable also. It is the LV70. It plays every disc I've made on the E80H. It also plays on all my neighbors players. The only recording capabilities it has is the speed. I do not think it can record to AVI. The manual is on-line at Panansonic.Com. The hard drive feature is the best.
    There is too much to write about it. The editing features are not the greatest, but I didn't buy it for that. Last weekend I purchased the Plextor 708A and will start getting into other things. The Panasonic replaces my VCR and makes life a little easier.

Email me if you have any questions. If you need the link to the on-line manual, let me know.

13. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Thank you very much. If it squirts things out as MPEG2 files, then what the heck. I would appreciate the manual link, as I'd like to find out a bit more such as if I can adjust the recorders Bitrate, or change it between CBR & VBR etc.
    Thanks again.

14. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

I am home today and I think I downloaded the .PDF file at work. I searched on Google and couldn't find anything. Panasonic.com had a lot of info on their site but I couln't find the manual.

I will try on Monday and let you know.

When I look at a DVD I made from Pay per view I see the following:
    A folder called - Video_TS
    In the folder is 5 files called Video_ts.ifo .blp VTS_01_0.bup

Hope this helps

15. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Hi

I have the file. It is 2.3mb. I can either email you or try to explain where I downloaded it from.

If you go to google.com type in Panasonic Canada

Follow the link. Choose English or French. Look at the top of the page to the right and choose downloads. Choose user manual. In the model number search area just type DMR and hit search. The you will be prsented with a list of models and choose the DMR E80H.

The rest should be easy.

PS: By the way, BUY.COM has the best price. They are new and i have been dealing with them for years. They have it for $510.89. I live in New York so there was no shipping or sales tax.

good luck

16. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Can you please email this to me at
    neilwilkes@opusproductions.com
    Much appreciated.
    Does it also record okay from a Satellite system, do you know? If so, then it is looking like Credit Card time.
    I appreciate this very much. Thank you for the time & trouble.
    Anything we can do - just ask away!