1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DBox 2 Newbie

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by jgardner, Sep 28, 2006.

1. jgardner

jgardner Member

Hi, I've just ordered a Nokia dbox 2 from Germany and just have a couple of questions. First of all when the box arrives i have been told its best to flash it with the latest sportser image, silly question but will this put the box into German as the one i have ordered comes with a UK version of linux installed and any images i have found on the web are on german websites?

Secondly is there any risk of blowing the box if i flash it.

Another silly question, when i connect my CATV cable into the TV card on my pc i can recieve certain channels, how comes there isn't a piece of software that will let CATV viewed/descrambled through my PC? I'm not suggesting any sort of piracy here i just wondered what the reciever contains that a PC dosent?

Thanks

2. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Alright flashing your box wont blow it , lol unless you got some super dodgy image which still is probably impossible. Flashing your box just flashes the flash chip inside it , which is basicly why its there to store data but also has the function of being flashed so i wouldnt worry bout that. And as far as i know the images are in english but i could help you along those lines to get your self an english one. sorry dont know about the catv being veiwed through your pc. I have one question for you mate where di you get the box and was it a reasonable price?

3. jgardner

jgardner Member

Hello mate thanks for the reply i PM'd bluemoon and she recommended a good website. Bought my box from dbox2.co.uk (the english language website version of dbox2.net) haven't recieved it but should arrive either this weekend or the beginning of next week. I went for the one with 12 month guarentee and a custom blue LCD display, came to £148 with post and packing.

Even if I can only recieve the standard channels I'll be happy with a custom box because the current pace NTL recievers are a pile of SH*T. Also be nice to network up and run movies without having to convert them to DVD and capture live TV to my pc without having to build a media centre PC.

What will the program guides be like with the dbox? will I get the ones from NTL or will i have different one? The current ntl ones take ages to load with the pace reciever.

4. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

The electronic program guide is alright not the best though , tells you whats on at the moment then pressing the ? button you can see whats on for the next 24hr programs

5. Zoe312

Zoe312 Member

How is your box working?

6. bobdebouw

bobdebouw Member

in reply to the pace box being sh*t yes it is, phone up and say that your picture is freezing every now and then for a few minutes at a time and you will get a service around to have a look and should get a nice shiny new silver sammy, thats what we call the samsung 2110c's, only if its in stock at the time tho.

just remember to bitch and moan like bu**gery with the person on the phone, not too much or they will hang up. all else fails tell em to cancel the whole lot. within the next 30 days you will receive a phone call from the cancellation team trying to entice you to stay with nthell