1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dbox flash disaster!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by leeb1977, Mar 1, 2007.

1. leeb1977

leeb1977 Member

hi all,

ive had a bit of trouble with a Dbox flash (sagem 2 chip variant).

Basically - i couldnt get a program call IFA (Image Flashin Assistant) to work with my Dbox via my lan, so ive moved the files to my box via FTP.

Ive gone into my box and like an idiot, ran the 1 chip flash instead of the two.

So as part of the flashing process my old flsh was removed.... and the new one failed to write.

Leaving me with a blank box - the OSD is blank and the LCD just says 'klien system' (or something to that effect).

This was at 2am his morning so tonight i'll try and get the thing up and running via IFA again..... but if that doesnt work - im at a loss as too what to try next.

Can i run a flash via an RS232 cable if i cant get access via IFA? If i can get FTP access iss there something i can do there?

Are there any other image flashing programs you can recommend that might help me out if IFA fails?

Thanks in advance..... hopefully you can give a desperate man some advice!

Lee.

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You cannot get ftp access to a box without a working image. Where do you think the ftp server should be located at a blank or corrupted flash memory.
    Read a IFA tut and try IFA again.

3. leeb1977

leeb1977 Member

well thats my next step anyway - i dont know if it was a setting on my old image that stopped IFA working with it in the first place.

I inherited the box after a friend had it and tried to gain himself some extra channels, problem is - he's not exactly the brightest of folks and changed random settings along the way.

Im asuming then that if i cant gain FTP access then IFA will have to be connected via an rs232 cable?!

I was using a tut before when trying IFA. Maybe the reason it didnt work is that im using Vista as an OS?!

If IFA doesnt work - do you have any suggestions?

thanks.

4. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Try a winxp pc from a friend.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  5. mhill7895

mhill7895 Member

I use Vista and don't get any problems. This may be a silly question, but are you using a RS232 null-modem cable? My understanding is that it must be null-modem - or of course you can use a crossover cable... Either way, you need to ensure that in Vista FTP and IFA are allowed applications in the firewall settings other it no-worky.

6. benifa

benifa Regular member

I've never had success flashing with IFA in vista using an ethernet connection from PC to dbox. Null modem cable works fine though..

So, leeb1977, I recommend you either use a null modem cable OR install win xp on a separate partition, boot into that and flash using ethernet..

Unless.. mhill7895 have you had success flashing using IFA over ethernet in vista? If so, please tell how. I've disabled firewall, avs and internet connection sharing but still never had success :(

7. leeb1977

leeb1977 Member

hmmmmm........

Ive managed to get IFA to flash the box via the LAN, i had to click on the rarp server is it? (and disable windows firewall, router firewall and right clik on prog and select run as admin')

anyway - it managed to gain access to the Dbox (after about an hour of trying), and ran all the way through untill i got a message on the Dbox LCD screen saying 'fenig' and a load of smiley faces... IFA also gave me a message saying that i could now power down the dbox.

only thing is - when i switch the dbox back on... i still get the 'kein system' message on the LCD and no signal comming from the box to the TV.

If i look in the IFA files i can see the backup it took of my dbox - and the correct image was selected.

any ideas??

8. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

If you got a corrupted image you will get kein System after flashing.
    Try a other 2ximage.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  9. leeb1977

leeb1977 Member

all sorted!

turns out my mate was wrong and i have the 1x chip version after all!

im well happy! thanks for the help.

to those wanting to flash in Vista using IFA:

*right click on program icon and select 'run as administrator'
    *select your image
    *make sure that com port is set to off
    *click ok to get scan going.
    *dont bother to switch your dbox off, just open up the window thats been minimized by IFA and go to the settings tab.
    *press the stop button
    *now change your ip addy to: 192.168.0.1
    *check the box that says 'RARP server'
    *check each box that area (apart from IP Debug messages)
    *click the start button
    *turn on power to dbox and it should start flashing.

hope that helps.

10. benifa

benifa Regular member

Glad you got yourself sorted mate, and thanks for the guide re vista flashing over lan. However, I had my system set up exactly as you described, but still could not flash. I thought it was just vista being an arse, but since you've had success I really am scratching my head, once again. There must be something else.. :-{