1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dbox In Ireland

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by habcat, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaniaguy

scaniaguy Guest

Am not getting anywhere in a hurry. Have dreambox 500 c. Have NOT got a clue what people are talking about with "flashing" "download" Can I just plug my system in and have it show me T.V. SPORTS AND MOVIES from chorus in Cork. I have not got an account with chorus yet--if I get a basic package from chorus, plug in my DM 500 c box. Do a scan and be away to the races.

2. spongerob

spongerob Member

hi folks....would i be right in assuming that a dreambox 500C will work with ntl mmds?

3. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

I realise this started off as a forum about the N0kia DBox, so I might get a rather biased reply, but here goes anyway. My brother has a ch0rus true cable (not MMDS) connection in the cork city area and plan to buy a receiver to pick up as much digital channels as possible. Buying a dreambox was recommended to me, but the 500-c is no longer being sold (only clones available) and the 600PVR is rather costly. There is a huge host of receivers out there (Starview, DBox 2, Eurovox etc) so I’m finding it difficult to choose the best one for my situation. Ideally the receiver should be:
    - easy to set-up,
    - future proof, and
    - reasonably priced.
    I realise this seems like a question which may have been asked in different forms before, but having done a lot of searching I’m yet to find a comprehensive comparison of receivers. If anyone as got one working in the cork area I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know how difficult it was. Cheers.

4. Shorty696

Shorty696 Member

Yes. I'm using it myself on N*L MMDS.

5. glic83

glic83 Regular member

it depends where in cor you are as some areas in cork are true cable for whch the 500 C works fine however if you are on mmds you will need a t tunner ie a 500 T or 600T,basic package with the right box will give you all the channels

6. scaniaguy

scaniaguy Guest

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I AM IN THE GLASHEEN / UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL AREA. I DO HAVE A BOX (OF SORTS) WHICH HAD THE CHANNELS (NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK) WITH THE MOVE FROM CORK TO LIMERICK BY CHORUS THE GOOD SPORTS AND MOVIES BIT BY BIT DISAPPEARED. STILL GETTING 10 CHANELLS THROUGH THIS BOX, IT DOES HAVE THE CHORUS CABLE WITH THE CONNECTER. DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE MMDS. SORRY TO BE SUCH A VIRGIN ON ALL THIS,JUST NEED TO GET SOME ENTERTAINMENT INTO MY LIFE. THANKS AGAIN

7. glic83

glic83 Regular member

plug the cable straight into the back of the tv no box or anything and see what channels you get,if your mmds you would also have a wire mesh antenna on your roof

8. rua11

rua11 Member

Can anyone help me set up a DBox2 in Kilkenny please? Bought a preloaded one from Germany on eBay with Sportster loaded. Supposedly it was plug, scan and play. Ran a service scan but it did not pick up on any channels and couldn't see any transponders. Brother tried to help via phone by changing services.xml but I think this was a Dublin file. Going completely ga-ga now and mad at the thought of wasted 200 Euro. REALLY want to get it up and running... I have Chorus digital subscription.
    I am new to all this so I would really appreciate any help. Tried to access some services.xml files from previous pages on this forum but sites cannot find the files.
    Thanks!

9. cathaldub

cathaldub Regular member

Is it a nokia or Sagem box?
    I'd advise upgrade the image to commando or blade if its sagem anyway
    are you a member of techno-source.co.uk?
    all the files can be downloaded there

10. razo100

razo100 Member

i am in pretty much the same situation as rua11. so if anyone has the servies.xml for kilkenny area it would be greatly appreciated.

11. glic83

glic83 Regular member

could be wrong but thought kilkenny was mmds

12. rua11

rua11 Member

Hiya, my box is a Nokia. Emailed the supplier and he said that I just need the Chorus frequency and symbol rate. I got the frequency from the Chorus box by my TV but don't know what the symbol rate is and don't know if this will work anyway?
    It definitely is Chorus digital on cable and not MMDS. Will check out techno source site but in the meantime if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful!!

13. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

As far as i know Kilkenny get the chorus mmds signal via an central mmds mast with receiving antenna.
    Check a subscriber box for digital. If you read ITD at the sticker underneath of the sagembox its chorus mmds.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  14. rua11

rua11 Member

Thanks so much for helping, mgb17. I checked the Sagem Chorus box and is does in fact say ITD60 CH. So I have MMDS then? Even though I receive the Chorus digital service, ie Chorus Digital sport, on monthly bill? How will this affect getting my DBox2 to work so?

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You need a device with dvb-t tuner. The cable dbox2 is only good for dvb-c.

16. rua11

rua11 Member

Sorry, I don't really understand that! Does that mean that I can't run this dbox2 at all or is the dvb-t tuner something I can get in addition? Should I just return this box to the seller?

17. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Chorus mmds is using dvb-t and ntl cable, ntl mmds and chorus cable are using dvb-c.
    Its like the difference between petrol and diesel. You bought a car with the wrong engine.

18. rua11

rua11 Member

Great analogy but not great news.....:-( Will have to return box to the seller so...

19. razo100

razo100 Member

sorry i am a total newbie to this. i was thinking of working off my c*orus broadband cable by splitting the signal. i do not have the digital tv subscription, only broadband subcription. does this mean i need a dvb-t box too for it to work or will splitting that cable work on a dvb-c box??i thought in order to have mmds you need a wire mesh type aerial which i dont have. i hope i make sense cos i am really basic in my understanding of what is required of setting a dbox2 up. sorry guys.

20. rua11

rua11 Member

I thought I had cable as Chorus ran a cable into the house and we don't have any aerials etc.. It transpires that this is not necessarily the case as mgb pointed out. Sorry - I don't know what is involved with setting up the dBox on Chorus broadband line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.