1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dbox In Ireland

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by habcat, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronin2009

ronin2009 Member

Thanks for the advice guys the box seemed to sort it's self out :S when i went back to the house to fix it..
    strange but hey

thanks again

2. bazzit

bazzit Member

Hey Guys Im headin outa the Big Smoke
    down to Wicklow does anyone have Buckets and Services
    for the Arklow area??

3. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Spot on! I was looking in another share folder all along! there is a share folder within VAR, and some other shortcut to share went there.

I found the cables.xml but am unable to edit it, tried messing with rights but cannot get it to be edited, even when I copy it I cannot do it.

4. brock8769

brock8769 Member

Got all the missing channels back except for E4+1, Discovery Kids, ABC, jetix. Also men and motors but I didn't even know that we had it. Some others not working but not bothered by them Any ideas

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. rawsea

rawsea Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks a million for everything you guys have posted. I bought the Nokia DBox2 hearing it was the best one on the market. I didn't know a whole lot about them and paid good money to have it configured for Ireland. Well I assumed as much ordering from a seller that advertised the boxes as "working in Ireland". Imagine my horror when it didn't.

At first I thought it was an issue with simply getting the machine to scan for the channels. Unfamiliar with the unit (and with these machines in general), I spent a while fiddling around with them until I realized the problem lay elsewhere. It was time to trawl internet guides and online forums, understanding jargon and trying to establish where exactly the problem lay.

The problem, I eventually learned, was that the machine was flashed with the wrong image to decode the NTL signal. There are good guides that explain how to flash the unit with a new image on this page of the forum: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/62/369401. I also downloaded FlashFXP, an extremely user-friendly piece of software used to interact with the PC and the DBox2.

I understand that some images come loaded with Bouquets (Menu arrangements) and Service files (channel decodes), and some do not. Some require new service files to be loaded, wheras some do not. Finding specific files for Ireland and Dublin initially proved difficult, as I only vaguely knew what I was looking for.

When I did acquire the Irish images and service files, only a tiny number of channels became decoded: Setanta, City Channel, RTE 2 and a one or two more. What was the problem? I don't even fully understand it now, but I'll tell you what I did just in case there is anybody in my situation that I can help. I tried all the images available in Oggnogg's 4Shared folder http://oggnogg.4shared.com/. The results were the same with all images, even after when the most recent service files and bouquets were loaded into /var/tuxbox/config/zapit/.

Then I came across "Blade Quad 2x Timefix.rar" image file in the DBox > Image subfolder (http://oggnogg.4shared.com/). I flashed the box with it, then brought across the most recent Service files and Bouquets from "Dublin Service Bouquet June 08.zip". I powered off the box, turned it back on and all was working. This image, in conjunction with these service files, did the trick for me. I would just like to recommend that anyone having problems similar to mine try my solution. Hopefully it will solve your problem.

6. mark33

mark33 Member

Hi, Some help badly needed. I got 2nd hand dreambox DM 500 recently and flashed it with the recommended image using null modem. I am able to find a transponder when i scan, but no channels are found, i'm on n*l dublin. Siganl is OK as i have a starv**w working from the same cable. Any help appreciated,

7. Kaceman

Kaceman Member

Hey Ruprect, thanks for the Services.xml. I have used my own Bouquet and see the additional channels in the 'Other' bouquet at the end. I cannot for the life of me seem to move the channels out of it or even lock this Bouquet. Need to do this as it has the Adult channel there which needs to be locked up. Any idea how to do this and how to see/modify the 'Other' Bouquet with these extra channels ?

Thanks in advance

8. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Others is not a real bouquet. Its simply a list of channels which are not linked to any bouquet.
    Create a new bouquet and add the channels from others. After that others disappears.

9. gosplan

gosplan Member

Hi All,

D-box stopped working some time ago and decided to attack the problem the other day. I'm out of ideas at this stage so have to ask for some advice.

I have a slightly older Sagem DB2 box.

I have flashed commando 8.2 to it

I have ftp'd the new cable, services, and bouquet XML files.

I scanned ntl accordingly.

I still can only get some stations, RTE, Setanta, City Channel etc.

The rest of the channels just don't appear and there also seems to be a little bit of distortion in the form of liner white glitches on them.

Any suggestions?

10. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Why did you scan? if you got my services file in oggnoggs folder there should be no need to scan.

Some of my frequencies may be slightly off, which channels are not working for you and I can check on my sagem.

11. gosplan

gosplan Member

Very few channels working. Only some of the Irish ones and channel six.

is it possible the scan messed up your services file? Should I overwrite that and check the results?

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Ruprect I see you have tried Blade Quad elsewhere. It will work if you edit the NetID in setmylocations.config at the Dublin 2 location. NetID is set at 42755 when it should be at 42753 and delete the extra 0 from 2910000.

As per the OP's, (Blah), who came up with the solution. It does work believe me. Although as mgb has said his cable.xml will also work as it has 418.250 added.

13. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Did you give it time to update your keys? leave on rte1 for 20mins. Also did you update your rom7 file? if not the keys will not come in correctly.
    The scan may or may not have messed up services. Did you get the full approx 145 TV channels?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  14. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

I have not tried Quad yet, I posted in the Quad thread but am still on andromeda 2.0. I tried it last night and it did not work again, but I was still not using the original cables.xml file.

I would still like to know how the netid works. Is it some code that somehow gets the correct frequencies itself. i.e. I have never seen 418.25 on any cables.xml file so how does it decide to scan there?

If this netid works so well then why bother updating the cables.xml files at all? Why do all images not just use this.

When I scan I am still unsure about 2 options, fast scan, and sections scan. I was told to enable the fast scan with the netid routine.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  15. gosplan

gosplan Member

Ah ha. That's it.

Do I just replace the existing one? Any pointers on where to find a new one?

16. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry but mgb will answer your questions in more detail than I can. His cable.xml has 418.250 added to it because of the new TP, have you tried his one and deleted scan.config and uplug?

His cable.xml is specifically for the Irish network and it works quite well. I used it but also experimented with Quad which also works with a bit of editing.

The Net ID corresponds to the specific home frequency, yours been 291000 but there is also some other at 363000.

17. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

I have my box running fine. I made my own cables file which works fine. If you have a subbed pace box you can simply turn on any channel, whether subscribed or not, and you can press menu and it shows the frequency, then add that to cables.

Problem is I have loads of mates with dboxes who do not know how to use FTP, and have no cables anyway. I want a way to correct it via tuxbox commander, or just scanning.

I presume the old cables.xml did not have 418.25 listed, so when using netid I wonder why people say to use cable uk 6887? would any of the providers work.

I cannot edit cables.xml with tuxbox commander, but I can change services. Editing services is very slow. you would have to change 3 frequencies and about 3-4 codes for other stations that changed, (film four, film 4+1, adult channel, and some other)

18. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep I know about subbed frequencies all my boxes use them :) Quad method of scan for Dublin is really a workaround. Hence the use of the UK scan but all it does if you have set your location is scan in the correct 13 TPs in less than a minute, which is quiet fast I may say.

Andromeda is quite good I had it until the TP change and then decided while I was having a go at fixing that to try a new image. BTW I heard it is quite good on Sagems also.

Regards your mates, guess they will either have to learn how to update the boxes themselves or you all have a Dbox crash course at your house :)

Joking apart you learned how to, so they should too.

19. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The frequency 418.250 was never used before and doesn't match exactly the order of the previous frequency range. Therefor it was not included in older cables.xml files.
    Netid is not used in every image because nearly nobody know the netid of the own area and there is more than one.

20. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

I understand that 418.25 was never there before. But I do not know how the netid file figures out 418.25. i.e. people are using the netid and then scanning using the old uk6887 from the cables.xml without 418.25.

If UK 6887 works without 418.25 then should any service provider in an old cables.xml work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.