1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dbox In Ireland

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by habcat, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentg

agentg Member

Cool thanks, What are the extra things that Dboxs do??? Do they update automatically and have more channels??

2. incoming

incoming Guest

Is there an auto update for chorus mds cork by any chance?

3. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Once you have it working it should autoupdate, unless they dramatically change things. I have nokias on sportster 1.7 since feburary with older evocams that have never given any trouble with all the changes they are doing lately.

People were saying dreamboxes were going to give no trouble, but on many forums they did seem to have trouble in dublin. People keep asking me which to get, friends of friends and people in work. I dont want to recommend any really since I know they will be hassling me if it goes down. I was thinking dreambox, but I now think nokias on 1.7 are the most stable. I dont like 1.7 since it has no teletext or virtual zap, but if people never had that they dont miss it.

The "Dbox2 are all 5+ years old", doesnt bother me too much. There are no moving parts in them so they should last a while, nokia are a respected brand so probably have quality parts. God knows what sort of cheap components are going into grey area units. And the dboxes seem to have more people programming for them.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  4. agentg

agentg Member

Can you record on the nokias?

5. keithgav

keithgav Member

Again sorry, have followed this forum rigidly,went wrong somewhere when trying to upload the irish cables, the only cable provider I have is Kabel Deutschland.... at this stage i've spent 4hrs on it this evening, and the whole weekend.... please help if this has happened anyone else....

6. kavoman

kavoman Guest

can anybody give me help in setting up a dbox 1....got it from germany and all help files are in german, came loaded with dvb2000 if that means anything to you

edwardkavanagh@msn.com

7. bassy777

bassy777 Member

hi to all,just wondered does anyone know if a dbox1 will work on chorus mmds?
    and if it does work what image would be best suited for it to autoroll,thanks.

8. brock8769

brock8769 Member

Hi guys

I am having a problem with my nokia dbox2 in the last few weeks. I am a novice at this kind of thing so please bear with me.

The problem is that of the 140+ channels (N*L DUBLIN) in the last few days all bar four or five have gone blank.

I initially restarted the evocamd which seemed to work temporairly.

I have also rescanned and have after several attempts got the full list again but still no picture other than on the same few channels. Every channel shows the information about what is on but no picture or sound.

I was advised to do the following. Upload cables.xml (supplied by guy I bought dbox from) to the dbox2 folder var/tuxbox/config, delete scan.conf in the same folder, unplug the box, plug in and select N*L and start a scan.

I did this and no luck. I am therefore going to relash.

I have been studying the FTP transfer protocols and have been able to access the dbox files without a problem. I have not modified anything but reading the guide instructions I think that if supplied with basic instructions I can manage it.

I have downloaded two images as below.

sportster_12_11_05_1x
    Sportster-Pro_1.02_17122005_1406_S_2xI

Which is best or is there another for my area and cable supplier.

I do not know if they are good ones to use or should I just take copy or one you already have on and reflash it. I dont even know what the image is called on the box as there is no sportstar file on dbox that I can identify.

There are no simple and I mean very simple instructions regarding reflashing an existing image on the dbox. Shouold I just go for one of the new ones. I will be using a FTP program to transfer image.

Should I save all the files that are on the dbox at present or just the service, bouquets and cables ones or any at all.

Do I remove the image presently on the dbox and then add either a new one (as above) or reinstall the original (as in the one you already have on box. Dont know what it is called)

when this is done do I go to dbox and straight away do the following or do I restart dbox then do the following

On the remote control, press the DBOX button. If your menu is in English then
    go to “Service” or “Service Menu”. If your menu is in German then it’s the third
    option from the bottom. Highlight it and press the OK button.
    Scroll to “Software Update”, and click OK (can either be the second option from
    top or the bottom option, depending on image already installed)
    Scroll to “Expert Functions” and click OK.
    Scroll to “Write one partition” and click OK.
    Scroll to “”Flash without Boot loader” and click OK.
    Select the image from the file list – it will be called image.img
    Choose “Yes” to flash. The dbox will now display a progress bar which shows you the flashing process – you must NOT turn off the box or reset it whilst this is happening.

BTW cant see "expert settings" - Can it be called something else.

I assume that when doing this you leave the pc and dbox connected via the network cable.

At this point will I need to add in the service, cable.xml etc or will it still be there.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

9. BrenIRL

BrenIRL Member

I will upload my working commando 8.2 image for the Nokia Dbox2 later on tonight. (Dublin - NTL)

You just need to FTP the image to the VAR/TMP folder and from the dbox choose service/flash from the menu. Choose flash without bootloader and you'll have the image in the TMP folder as an option.

I'm doing this from memory so sorry if I've worded some wrong.

You should backup you exsisting image using the write flash option and copy the resulting *.img file to your PC via ftp from the Var/Tmp folder before hand.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  10. brock8769

brock8769 Member

Thanks bren Irl. How do I get the image then.

11. BrenIRL

BrenIRL Member

I'm in work at the moment but I'll upload it to megashare or something when I get home. (After 7pm)

You should backup you own image in the meantime

12. Dizzy_G

Dizzy_G Member

Hi brock8769,

I'm new to this craic too but the one thing i noticed is you said you have two images already, "sportster_12_11_05_1x
    Sportster-Pro_1.02_17122005_1406_S_2xI"

These are for two different types of box, you need to determine how many chips you have. The 1x version is for single intel chip boxes and the 2xI are for two chip AMD and Intel boxes. If you use a 1x chip image on a 2x box it won't work and the same also for a 2x image on a 1x box.

there are guides around on how to find out. It just involves looking thru the top grill of the box.

13. brock8769

brock8769 Member

its a 2xchip. If you can direct me to the link for the image when uploaded it would be great. Two kids to sort out so wont get to it till after 9 or ten.

Again thanks

14. mossyd

mossyd Member

Another newbie joint the thread :)

I have read up on the whole thread to here (took some time) and have gone from knowing sfa about dbox / dbox2 to knowing a bit.

I am looking for the latest Galway NThelL MMDS services and bouquets files, and any other additional info that you may believe to be beneficial.

I'm led to believe I do not need a cables.xml but I may stand corrected!

Just a FYI .. Running off a Nokia DBOX2 2X in debug mode with Neutrino Linux Sportster Software 1.10

15. bassy777

bassy777 Member

can anyone please help me on this?.cheers

16. mossyd

mossyd Member

Afraid you may not be in luck. I read somewhere that Chorus MMDS does not work with DBOX, you need DBOX2. I believe NTL MMDS does work with DBOX (and DBOX2).

Someone else may be able to confirm this for you...

17. bassy777

bassy777 Member

cheers mossyd,can anyone confirm what mossyd has said?.

18. mossyd

mossyd Member

bassy777, have a look at this from b4

19. mossyd

mossyd Member

... and this

Sorry m8!

20. keithgav

keithgav Member

Hey,
    If anyone out there knows of anyone in the Dublin area who'll be able to reconfigure a Sagem 1x box please PM me. Recently found out that I am useless with technology. Followed this forum to a T but when I try do a scan the only provider is Kabel Deutchland and so I obviously get the wonderful TRANSPONDERSCAN FAILED message....this is really giving me a proper pain in the behind. I've probably gone wrong somewhere but just can't figure out where...

It's currently got Sportster 1.1 loaded on it...

Thanks in advance,
    Keith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.