Dbox In Ireland

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by habcat, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Box and pc must be in the same subnet.
    If box and pc are connected to a router with dhcp, enable dhcp in the network menue at the box, restart the network and do a network test. You can see the box ip in the test output. Use that IP.
    If box and pc are connected directly via crossover network cable, the pc card need a fixed IP and the box ip in the network menue must have the same first 3 ranges than the pc. Only the last one must be different.
    Userid is root and password is dbox2 for ftp.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  2. michael80

michael80 Member

when i test network, dbox is reachable but default gateway, dns server etc.. is unreachable. (socket error).. i am using an ethernet cable

3. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

You need a crossover network cable with crossed wires for a direct connection between box and pc. A normal 1:1 wired patch cable is not working for a direct connection between end devices.
    A patch cable is only working for a connection via router or network switch.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. michael80

michael80 Member

ok ill have to get one of them cables tomorrow, thanks again

5. tyrrelk2

tyrrelk2 Member

Hi there - bought a Nokia Dbox2 from Germany, all the "cable providers" are german. Based on what I have read on the forums here, i think there is an image on dbox but it doesnt have the correct service files?

I'm not the best on computers / tech stuff.Is there anyone based in Dublin who could update this Dbox for me? Obviously willing to pay for service.

6. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Where abouts are you? I could probably come out, how much are you willing to pay? I have cables I can give you and teach you how to do it yourself in future if you want.

Lads in buy&sell and other sites seem to charge ~€30 to update starviews.

7. mark397

mark397 Member

have a dbox that was working perfectly for a few months. now i can't watch anything. its still picking up all the channels but coming up blank when i try watch them. can anyone tell me how to get it working again. i'm in the north dublin area.

8. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Restart the emu and if you don't know how pull the plug, wait a little bit and replug.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  9. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

yep, and then change to RTE1 and wait for 5-30mins, do not change channels, it might be blank, it can take this long to decode them again (I heard in the UK it can be overnight). If a dbox is plugged out for a long time it can need this.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  10. wcoakley

wcoakley Member

Well got dbox and all is well,got 143 channels and the picture is perfect no problems. Just that you have to set your panel to auto on screen aspect as some come in in smal letter box view.

Is there more channels that 143?

Also tried spilting it to another room lastnight,do you have to go into the menu to turn on the second RF out?

Thanks in advance!

11. wcoakley

wcoakley Member

sorry me again....

Can you get channel 5 on it, i think thats the only one i cant recieve.

Cheers Big Ears

12. michael80

michael80 Member

hi. im trying to connect my dbox2 to my pc, im using a crossover ethernet cable. my LAN staus tells me im connected but when i try to test the network on the dbox the default gateway, dns server is unreachable (socket error). the dbox is reachable (ping). what IP etc.. do i need to have on my pc, maybe thats where im going wrong? any help appreciated!

13. michael80

michael80 Member

MGB or anyone.. how do i overwrite the old files with cables.xml. im using ftp filezilla. iv uploaoded cables.xml fine but i dont know how or which files to overwrite. is it services.xml in the folder zapit. cheers

14. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The old cables.xml is located in /var/tuxbox/config or /share/tuxbox depending on the image.
    If you ftp to the box you are landing inside the var folder. You have to go one step higher to see the top folder share.

15. michael80

michael80 Member

i have sucessfully ftp the cables.xml to the var/tuxbox/config folder. there is only one other .xml file in that folder called newcs.xml and its a considerably smaller file. do i have to overwrite this (how?) or do i delete this file? when i plug in the chorus cable and do a service scan the cable provider is kabel deutschland not chorus...

16. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

If you are not able to select a other provider you copied the cables.mxl to the wrong subfolder.
    Check /share/tuxbox.

17. michael80

michael80 Member

i found the file in share/tuxbox but it will not let me overwrite it. it says 'could not retrieve directory listing' and status says critical transfer error. i might of changed some files while attempting to do this - in var/tuxbox/config is the 'Bruteforce' cables.xml. do you know what should be in my zapit folder as i might have changed something im not sure, sorry and thanks

18. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Overwrite the cabes.xml in /var/tuxbox/config.
    The contents of the zapit folder doesn't matter. A scan create new files.

19. wiz569

wiz569 Regular member

Make sure you delete the scan conf file in the same folder then reboot.

20. michael80

michael80 Member

ok iv uploaded cables successfully! i can change my cable provider to CableukSYM6887 / ntl CABLE IE BF / CHORUS BRUTEFORCE. but when i do a scan iv only got 17 channels.. eg. priemiere sport, feed f3, feed f4, blue movie! i might have changed something, as before i had a list of a few hundred channels sky etc.. help please im nearly there!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.