1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dbox2 signal issue

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by gjmcwil, Apr 2, 2007.

1. gjmcwil

gjmcwil Member

Hi

I have put an image on my box. I know it works as I have tried it at a friends house.

I turned on signal view in the config file

I get BER 30% SNR 30% and signal 23&

I think that is the correct abbreviations? anyway on my friends the SNR is up to 97%

There is a splitter from the NTL box which goes to broadband and one to the box.

I have tried adding it straigh to the box but to no avail.

He has and adapter which he put onto the NTL connection, I just removed the NTL connector and put on a basic one, I don't think that's the issue as I have mannualy help the cable into the box without nay connectors.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. dc69

dc69 Regular member

u sure its available in your area? if it is you could try a signal booster or flash a services file for your area on to the box which will eliminate the need of scanning for channels,as sometimes the oxes wont find any channels but if you put on a services file it will display them fine.

3. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

How good is your wiring of the cable splitter?, because there is a technique to this mate, and if its not done correctly will plummet your signal rates.

This is really the only issue i can think of because, you BB which means your in a cable area. Your box works at a mates house, so that eliminates any probs with the box.

So if i were you id try checking the cable feed just make sure its ok.

4. gjmcwil

gjmcwil Member

Cheers for the replies

Tam I think it is a cable issue, don't know about the wiring. I have bought a booster today so I wil give it a go and see how I get on.

Nothing to do with service files etc as mate is in the same area. Defo signal problem.

Cheers

5. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Are you in Ireland and using a sagem? I have had trouble with signals on all 4 or 5 sagems I have tried, and have had NO trouble with the 4 nokias I have tried.

Also a video can act as a booster. My dvdrecorder boosts and stabilises the signal (though my mates made it worse)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. dc69

dc69 Regular member

if you look outside your gaf where the cable is split between you and your neigbours house you should find the splitter.Just check that it says 5 - 1000 mhz because if it was installed years ago like alot of peoples it will only go up to 500 mhz which will ensure you do not get most or all of the channels.If not its probably a problem with how you have wired the splitter like tam said,on your cable when you cut it will be a wire covered with plastic and then more wire around that,make sure you DONT CUT OFF THIS OUTSIDE LAYER OF WIRE AS IT IS NEEDED TO GROUND THE SIGNAL so it should be touching the connector.

7. gjmcwil1

gjmcwil1 Member

Hi Folks,
    Recently purchased a nokia dbox2 , all working great, the only slight hitch is that all Sky channels requires a pin to be entered as it shows these channels broadcost 12,15 and 18 certificate movies so you will need to enter your pin to watch . There does not seem to be a way of doing this with the nokia. Any help much appreciated.

Regards G.

8. dc69

dc69 Regular member

there are 2 sets of channels for each one.example sky movies 9 will be on 2 channels one will be called sky movies 9 and ask for a pin to be asked,the other will not be displayed as sky movies 9,it will be sm9 or somehting but will show the program that is displayed when the pin is entered on the other channel ,so just delete the channel that asks for the pin and look for the working one and rename it.sorry if it sounds complicated.

##in future dont hijack other peoples threads##

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  9. gjmcwil

gjmcwil Member

Cheers for all the help guys.

Got it sorted.

I chopped the cable back which was coming from the splitter as it was longer than was needed. I put it into a booster and...hey presto it worked.

I can't believe it was somethig so simple, I thought it was a problem with the box and was trying various images for months! Each time I scanned it found zero transponders, I presume this is why?

The only ting that is bugging me now is that some programmes e.g. the football is shown in widescreen when I want the old traditional resolution.

I can't find a setting to change it and even Wayne Rooney was looking rather slim last night.

I am using Sportster 1.08 if anyone know give me a shout.

Thanks.

10. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

DBox button -> video
    Choose the screen you want.

11. dc69

dc69 Regular member

they broadcast matches and most channels in widescreen as most people now have widescreen televisions.If you change the video output it will ditort the image and will look worse the same as if you make a widescreen 16:9 image a normal 4:3 image.

12. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

On an old TV you can have 4:3 LB which is letterbox, so you should see all of the 16:9 broadcast but with black borders top & bottom (letterbox)
    or use 4:3 PS?, this zooms in on the 16:9 image so the edges are cut off but your screen should be filled I think this is pan & scan. Some broadcasters put the goals in the far corner and it can be clipped off if you use pan & scan

I have noticed some broadcasters make a total balls of it and get say a film that is 16:9, but they go and pan & scan it or something and even in widescreen the edges are missing. This happens on programs too, you will see names cut off on the opening credits even on widescreen.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007