1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD and DTS true HD question???

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Specops70, May 16, 2007.

1. Specops70

Specops70 Regular member

So if my Onkyo 7.1 surround sound does not have HDMI connections in the back I cannot have true HD from DD or DTS????

Tell me it ain't so.......

If so...is there a big difference between connecting it through an optical or HDMI.....is there really a big difference???

my surroung:
    http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S790&class=Systems&p=i

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Just to clarify a few things:

Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution or DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks are only available on some HD-DVD or BluRay discs. Due to the size in gigabytes needed to store the data in these new audio formats they are not available on regular DVD's. It's just not possible to derive Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD from the DD or DTS of a regular DVD no matter what connection you use.

If you have an HD-DVD player or BluRay player with internal decoding and with 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs you can still enjoy these new formats without HDMI - as long as your receiver has 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs.

If you're watching only regular DVD's then there's no need to worry about audio thru HDMI since the soundtracks on regular DVD's are carried on optical or digital coax without limitations. For regular DVD's HDMI becomes a factor only when you're dealing with upconversion to 720p or 1080i/p. For audio it's really a non-factor.

For more info read our discussion here and visit the links posted by diabolos:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494479

Last edited: May 16, 2007