1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD and DTS true HD question???!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Specops70, May 16, 2007.

1. Specops70

Specops70 Regular member

So if my Onkyo 7.1 surround sound does not have HDMI connections in the back I cannot have true HD from DD or DTS????

Tell me it ain't so.......

If so...is there a big difference between connecting it through an optical or HDMI.....is there really a big difference???

my surroung:
    http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S790&class=Systems&p=i

thanks.

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

HDMI 1.3 is the only connection that will carry Dolby TrueHD or DTD HD in digital form. However, if the blue laser decodes the signal to analogue and makes the analogue signal available at the eight RCA output jacks, then you can get the analogue signal to your receiver to amplify and send to the speakers. Another possible option is a decoder that can take an optical signal from the player and convert it, but then you are duplicating your decoders.

So far no Hollywood Blu-ray or HD DVD disc has encoded either Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD. (Blu-ray players still don't conform to the BD-J spec and won't have to have twin video decoders until Halloween day this year! It's too early to buy any of this stuff yet.)