1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDR and SD RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by srmp777, Apr 23, 2005.

1. srmp777

srmp777 Member

Hello guys and girls, I am new to this forum, and I have some questions.

I plan on adding more ram to my computer, but the question is which type of ram, do I need to install?

Do motherboards accept both DDR, and SD, and if so, can you use DDR, and SD RAM together?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi, welcome to the site, I think you'll find it usefull.

The type of RAM you need to add depends on the motherboard, you need to check your motherboard manual to see which kind your board neeeds.
    If you don't have the manual, then whip the side of your case off, and have a look at the memory slots. On most boards they are vertical, 2, 3 or 4 next to each other, a few mm wide and about 6inches tall. In each slot will be small plastic notches, if it is SDRAM there will be 2, if it is DDR there will only be one.

Some boards do have both DDR and SDRAM slots and they usually colour them different so you can tell which is which. You cannot run both together if you have one of these boards and preferably, if you do have one of these, choose DDR, although from my experience, a true DDR board runs it much better.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

3. srmp777

srmp777 Member

Hello DMW

Thank you for the reply, that was very useful. I look forawrd to more of your useful reponses.

Thank You

4. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi, no problem at all.
    This site is a great place to pick things up. Stick around, I'll think you'll find it very usefull.

Glad i could help.

Cheers.