1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dead cpu... what was the cause?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by J0hnnyga, Feb 3, 2007.

1. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

so recently i took my pc to a repair shop, id test it to see whats wrong myself but i dont have as much free time as i used to nor do i have all the extra parts needed to test individual parts. Anyways what im told is that the cpu is dead and im just wondering what happened... i didn't do anything out of the ordinary.. it was just about a week of turn it on play games for a few hours etc etc turn it off after use. After about a week of that it just stops posting, i then take it to the repair place (about a month later cause im lazy) and they tell me the cpu is dead. they also tell me that the power supply was testing fine... no jumps or spikes, so im curious as to what could be the cause. a buddy told me once he had a bad video card and that messed up some other parts in his rig and so at his advice i decided to rma my geforce 7950gx2, but other then that i have no idea what went wrong.... just a bum cpu? im a little worried about just putting another one in there so any ideas would be welcome
    thanks

2. pimp_k

pimp_k Member

Perhaps it wasn't cooled enough. Did you monitor the CPU temperature regularly? Heat is a killer for CPU's. Also, bad parts on motherboards may lead to other bad parts if they are leaking energy or not acting correctly, so it is very well possible that what he said was true.

3. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

i put a zalman 9700 on it so i cant imagine it having over heated

4. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Power surge??

Does the motherboard still work with a new processor in it?

5. skidme

skidme Guest

It could simply have been a badly manufactured CPU. Also, do not assume your local repair shop to be right all of the time. I know for a fact that I know more about computers than my local PC shop. Also, it sounds like your problem is motherboard related, not processor. Try getting a new cheap processor and drop it into the board to see if it works...

6. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

i believe at the pc place they droped in another cpu to test and it worked ok.
    but i also ordered a new e6700 and rma'd my videocard so hopefully it will run without issuse when the new parts come.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007