1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead hard drive what can i do

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by nwostarz, Mar 19, 2007.

1. nwostarz

nwostarz Guest

i was just about to do a softmod when i found that my xbox doesn't work i replaced the ide cables still nothing the hd makes a loud clicking sound is there anything i can do to sort it out
    thanks in advance

2. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-hotswap-and-recover-a-hd-without-an-eeprom-backup-t91.html
    you can try that. Without being able to access the drive and get the EEPROM i am not sure if you can build a new hard drive from a different one (and IDE drive on the compatibility list)
    That is why EVERYONE who owns an Xbox should keep a back up of their EEPROM and C: drive on their PC. I have a fail safe as i have the original hard drive on a shelf with everything on it from when i replaced mine. when you have a chip you can replace the hard drive very easily. So getting a chip installed or a solderless chip to install is another good option. Once it works you can just put in another hard drive and use an auto installer like Slayer 2.7 or AID 3.1 to format it and install all the dashboards and apps back on.