1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear oh dear, FEAR...

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Xithon, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Xithon

Xithon Member

FEAR, one of the most demanding games out right now has been recently added to my collection of PC games, only to be flawed by a currently unknown error to me.

My problem isn't graphical, though: it's a sound issue. I've seen many forum threads elsewhere with people going on about how FEAR has problems on some rigs with sound. They've even offered a plethora of advice and fixes they've come across, yet none of them cover nor fix mine.

You see, I get what I can only assume is all of the ambient background noises like the soundtrack and that, I get gunshot sounds, flashlight, you name it. What I don't get, which is probably most important of all to the game's story is the damn speech. People appear to be talking, like in the first scene where you are in a room (after the intro movie) with two men and a woman, but there is simply no voices to be heard, even though the background noises are still audible.

There's no speech sounds at all to be heard, except for a very (and I mean very, less than a second) brief word which is heard just before the scene after the intro movie. I'm not sure if there are any voices in the opening movie, but I don't hear any there either, other than the man's scream as the girl possess his body.

When you do hear the brief word before the following scene, it's like it gets cut off abruptly and refuses to play any more. I've tried ignoring this sound glitch but after doing the first level, I have simply no idea what is going on and it is not in any way scary or disturbing.

I've had a go at using different audio .dll's that people have suggested but these have no effect.

I'm running the latest version of the game, but the update didn't change anything. If anyone is also experiencing this or knows anything that might kick the sound back into action, I'd be very grateful if you could enlighten me.

Please note I have an in-build sound card (check my sig for details) so that could very well be the problem. I'm thinking of upgrading to a new PCI soundcard in the hope the problem might just evaporate.

As a secondary 'plea', if anyone could give me any information about what sound cards they are running which actually has FEAR's sound working (or maybe not working), I'd very much appreciate the information.

If you'd like any more information about my rig or anything like that, don't hesitate to ask. I'll help you to help me ;)

Cheers and all the best.

2. Xithon

Xithon Member

I guess my problem is forever going to haunt me until I splash out on a new sound card or PC altogether.

:/