1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of HD DVD and this area of discussion

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by iluvendo, Mar 7, 2008.

1. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Now that HD DVD is officially ending, will this topic at AD also?

2. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

Probably not. There are so many out there, both hardware and movies, that will be around for several years.

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

this is so true i have seen in the forums not to long ago(maby a month)some one wanting to transrer vhs to dvd, and vhs is still alive and kicking, i meen they still sell vhs players.

4. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

Personally I want a betamax section....only joking :)

5. varnull

varnull Guest

Why can't we have a laserdisk section? Or a TED video system thread??

Funny how nobody ever comes asking about minidisk players eh? Another sony format winner.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've still got a Sony minidisc player, almost new and something like 8yrs old, hundreds of the discs that i spent loads on too at the time , didn't like overwriting them as they took so long to record onto in the first place :(
    Even had a car minidisc player, ah, the memories of all those Trance tunes in the car in 99/2000

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Laserdisc section?, I've still got mine!

8. varnull

varnull Guest

I had one for a while. Brilliant machine spoiled by lack of affordable media. That has always been the way with philips/euro media inventions (apart from the laserdisks immediate successor.. the VCD/CD.
    Sold mine about 85. They still have a pretty hardcore following in certain circles, which shows how well they were made.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum-27-158.html

I like all these old obscure media formats.. Anybody seen the picture quality from a philips 1500 VCR?? Big let down 30 mins recording time, later increased to 1 hour) The big fault with those machines wasn't so much the tape technology as the cable loading mechanism.. it's a nightmare of string and springs. A N1700 will outperform any later VHS machine, but happy hunting for tapes ;)

9. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

I think we just need a "Dead/Loser Technology Section" that can cover all the miscellaneous items like Laserdisc, DIVX, Beta, VHS, HD-DVD, and so on.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

What's dead about VHS? You can still buy the machines.. and there is a far wider choice of media than on dvd... and ever will be.

11. FurryFace

FurryFace Member

Went to Fry's Electronics today. Noticed as I was walking towards the checkout a large bin filled with HD-DVD's, all priced at $11.99. That price was certainly cheaper than the DVD I was buying. But I don't have a player that will play HD-DVD:-( I do have a LaserDisc player, but it has clamping problems and some of my discs are rotted. Threw all the Betamax tapes out long ago when the Betamax player broke, think it had belt issues and worn heads. Haven't even used the VHS machine in 7 years, I think it still works, just have absolutely no reason to keep it plugged in.