1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

debian help

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by krj15489, Apr 17, 2007.

1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i would like to install debian but im not sure what to download. i have seen 14 cd sets and 3 dvd. i download one but it was a command promt. and i dont know how to use that. so what i am asking is, is there a single live/install cd that i can download?

2. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

I would advise against you starting your Linux experience with Debian, it's not exactly one of the most user friendly distributions available.
    I would rather suggest you try out OpenSuSE or Mandriva instead.
    If I've mistakenly labeled you as a novice to Linux, feel free to reply back, and I'll see what i can find.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

actualy ive been using linux for a while currrently im using ubuntu but janrocks has reccomended this distro many time so i decided to give it a try. but i just cant find the type of download that i want. i would like to avoid downloading multiple dvds and just get a single dvd or cd that has x server and is not a command promp distro.

4. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Well, after checking, i found that you would either have to do a net install which would be only 1 CD*which i wouldn't recommend* or you would have to download either the 3 DVD set, or the enormous CD set (i believe it spans over 20 CD's these days*).
    So either you will have to do get those, or choose a different distribution.

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

well ok then. thanks for the help

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  7. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

Same stuff as The_Fiend, minus the Debian.
    Right now i'm compiling my own distribution, stealing some ideas from Backtrack 2, Knoppix-STD, Auditor, and trying to oversimplify and automate some of the tools in the process.

Back on topic, the reason i told this person not to use the Debian net install is that he mentioned he just came off Ubuntu, and he has an obvious dislike for working with bash *or other command line systems*, so telling him to use the net install disc wasn't really an option in my opinion.

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

thanks for the guide jan. i think i will try that later today

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hmmmm?? Debian should be a relief and very friendly/familiar for somebody leaving ubuntu. I must use a terminal for 0.1% of my use.. and I do some pretty off the wall stuff.

Debian uses a GUI installer.. not as "pretified" as suse and some of the others.. but it's an installer, where is the need for pretty? You only see it a few times.

Your view of debian is obviously from woody or before, as far back as potato there was a basic GUI install, way back in the 2.0 kernel days.

I find from experience that you tend to spend a lot more time messing with the console in distros like ubuntu (which is broken) and fedora (dodgy hardware support) than with the new debian. 21 months to get the OS fixed and working well means that there are no real bugs.

Due to a security alert use ndiswrapper for all wireless devices until further notice..

Try your install.. give me a shout if anything seems not right.

For info..

#### /etc/apt/sources.list ####
    #### current multimedia non-free ####

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386 NETINST Binary-1 20070223-21:12]/ etch contrib main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386 NETINST Binary-1 20070223-21:12]/ etch contrib main

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

#mulitmedia
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

10. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

should i get the buisnesscard.iso or the netinst.iso? whats the difference?

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Netinst.iso.. from the daily build.

The business card is more a portable basic OS. stripped down with a very lean set of tools. only really suitable for experts who are comfortable with command line applications.
    They make them that size for pocket convenience.

12. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok so i downloaded and burned then booted from the disc. i got about half way through and i got some errors.

debootstrap program exited with error (return value 1)
    the base system instalation into /target/ failed

i was at the part when i needed to install the base system and i got these errors. then it said that i could skip that part of the instalation. im not quite sure what to do about this

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It's either a hardware error or a mirror error..

Not sure as I never have any troubles with the daily builds.

Sometimes formatting the drive helps to get around these issues, especially if you have a previous linux installation..

I scoured the debian forums and didn't find any clues.

google returned this http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/l10n-stats/level1/master/template.pot
    ouch..

Try skipping the step, but that probably won't work... How fast did you burn the disk?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  14. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

im downloading a new image right now. i will try to burn at a slower speed and i will boot from cd drive instead of dvd drive

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i am writting this from my newly installed debain. thanks for all the help

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I had a feeling it was something stupid like that..

It was for me too a few times. With anything the more times you do it the easier it gets..

Back to fighting with a bios corrupted PPC mobo.. have fun ;)

17. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

its working good so far but i have a few questions. i was customizing the panels and i accidentally got rid of the system tray. how can put that back on the panel. i have looked throught the list of things i can add to the panel but i couldnt find it. also how can i get the file manager to stay in one window instead of opening a new window every time i click on a folder. that is very annoying for me. thanks