1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dec 21, 2012 Is the world really going to end??? **NO POLITICS**

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by bluejet, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bluejet

bluejet Regular member

There is a lot of talk about dec. 21, 2012. People say that the world is going to end, or there is going to be a major change such as the world starting over through some huge natural disaster or something. Even scientist are saying that on that date, the earth does something that only happens once every 26,000 odd years.

Most people believe that the world isn't going to end. Just everything in it. In other words, almost every living thing will be destroyed by some type of natural disaster. It has been said that earth goes through a "cleansing" mode every 26,000 years and starts over. Could that mean that the remaining humans start over?

It kind of makes you wonder about Atlantis, since they were considered very advanced in technology, and there have been ancient artifacts found that look very similar to airplanes and helicopters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes! But not today.;)

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

until it happens then don't worry about it. i guess the earth has missed out on it's 26,000 year cycle for a long time as man & his ancestors have been around for almost 2 million years. then you have all the other species of life that have been around for millions of years.

4. pcrazy99

pcrazy99 Regular member

Yes it is. That is why I carry a towel with me at all times.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a big doomsday type person but 1 night a couple of months ago I caught a show on the History Channel talking about this.
    It was pretty compelling and interesting.
    On that day it has something to do w/ the earth's alignment w/ a black hole and the sun (? - I think it was) that only happens every 250,000 or so years. I feel asleep before I caught the whole
    thing :)
    The show was Decoding The Past
    Episode: Doomsday 2012: The End of Days

6. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

The Mayan calendar predicts an "end of days" in December 2012. Some speculate that a magnetic pole reversal may occur then....

7. bluejet

bluejet Regular member

Yes bilbo that is correct.

We all know the Earth is surrounded by a magnetic field that shields us from most of the sun's radiation. What you might not know is that the magnetic poles we call north and south have a nasty habit of swapping places every 750,000 years or so - and right now we're about 30,000 years overdue. Scientists have noted that the poles are drifting apart roughly 20-30kms each year, much faster than ever before, which points to a pole-shift being right around the corner. While the pole shift is underway, the magnetic field is disrupted and will eventually disappear, sometimes for up to 100 years. The result is enough UV outdoors to crisp your skin in seconds, killing everything it touches.

Scary stuff

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

guess i will cancel my 401K then and spend it. or go buy that new Corvette i was wanting being i won't have to pay after 2012 LMAO!! hummm wonder if i can get deferred payments

i don't buy into gloom and doom sorry

listen to this people and lighten up lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TybFyhlwdvU

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. rarthurb

rarthurb Member

Don't worry about it! on Dec 13, 2012 one way or the other you won't be concerned about it.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Well, I'll be on a lawn chair on my roof that night. If I see anything, I'll post a warning here. :)

11. varnull

varnull Guest

> Some astronomers say that it might trigger a shift of the earth's magnetic poles
    Would those be the same "astronomers" which predicted all sorts of consequences as a result of SL9 slamming into Jupiter?

I can see a few wacko astrologers and other assorted mystics trying to get some "me" time in the media from this, but any serious astronomer - gimme a break.

> It talked about the Mayan calendar and that it abruptly ends in 2012. The winter solstice to be exact.
    Or the guy who chiselled the information into the rock just got bored.

> so I'd not start spending those life savings in the knowledge you're not going to need them.
    I'm happy to take "donations" from anyone who believes they're not going to need the money

> I saw that show on the History channel. It didn't say that 2012 will be the apocalypse but rather was clear to say it won't be the end of the world but rather the end of the world as we know it, and that we're going to be entering a whole new era. (I vote for an agrarian revolution)

##############

> In 2038 or 2106 (depending on signing) most UNIX/Linux and modern Windows NT based systems will fail due to a date bug. This could very well signal the end of the world, or just another fun time for y2k paranoids.

> Not true any more with modern compilers because that problem has been fixed for another hundred years or so. Old compilers like the original Turbo C and all programs produced with them will be trashed.

> Old compilers like the original Turbo C and all programs produced with them will be trashed.
    They've survived 20 years past their useful date already, and there's only 30 to go.
    No sign in any slowdown in lazy profs teaching with museum tools.

and.. ad infinitum

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Wow I wasn't the only one who watched it :)
    One of the better seer/mystic ones imho but then again I still fell asleep watching it :)

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I thought that was REM.;)

15. varnull

varnull Guest

REM to me are the end of music as we knew it.. heh heh heh

It hasn't recovered yet

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

But I feel fine...

17. rav009

rav009 Active member

Yes. Its said Santa Claus will wear a necklace of decapitated children's heads that day.

Start over? Like, Windows 95's? :O

Even Scientists?! Oh dear: perchance, the same scientists who said we'd all be driving hover cars by now? I could go on. This just gets more and more ridiculous. The moral of the story, kids - think.

Don't say I don't teach you anything ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rav, it depends on whether they learn any thing at all. you can teach them till the cows come home & they'll still not learn a thing.

19. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Toast anyone?

"It's only four years away. Who knows, perhaps the influences of these disruptions will begin well before the solar and Galactic maximum is reached. We may not have that much time left."

http://www.viewzone.com/endtime.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  20. rav009

rav009 Active member

Kids, hey? :p

Sorry to sound cynical, but its common sense that when you hear something that sounds like a Hollywood film; you laugh and get on with things.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008