1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decrypter and Write Speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nick26897, Nov 25, 2004.

1. nick26897

nick26897 Member

I have been burning DVD movies with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter on Windows ME for about a week with my new Plextor 716A drive. I have been burning at 2x with both Verbatin Movie DVD-Rs and Memorex DVD-Rs just fine, no problems. Now after upgrading to Windows XP Professional DVD Decrypter will only burn at the max speed of the DVD-R. For the Verbatim discs it's 4x even if I select Write speed 2x. When it burns to disc at 4x the movie is all pixelated and choppy. Anyone know why this is happening? Should I just go back to Win ME to burn successfully at a slower speed?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  2. kchev

kchev Regular member

you still shouldn't have trouble even at 4x

you shouldn't use your computer for anything at all during encoding or burning
    even something as small as a screensaver or opening a web page will cause the problems you are getting at 4x

you can always get a good burning program like Nero

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi nick26897, welcome to aD,

When setting DVD Decrypter up for rurning with say DVD Shrink, - Open DVD Decrypter choose "Mode", ISO, "Write" - then down at the window's bottom, toward the right side you'll see "write speed" set by default at "Max" - pull down the box to choose the speed you want to burn and you should be set - i.e., below 4X you have your choice of, 2.4X, 2x or even 1X :)

Cheers,

Pete

kchev,

Could you explain to me how opening a web page would cause him to burn at 4X ?

What pray tell is wrong with DVD Decrypter ? Why change burn engines when he jhust wants to burn at a slower speed ?

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

i said it will "cause problems" such as choppiness and pixelation, not "cause to burn at 4x"

a standalone burn program has more control than decrypter
    i think decrypter is just that --a ripper --not the best burn engine

i have also experienced when decrypter doesn't want to control read or write speed when set to

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  5. nick26897

nick26897 Member

Thanks for the advice guys. No matter what I did with Win XP, DVD Decrypter would only burn movies at 4x. I even selected the write speed at 1x, 2x & 2.4x, but it would only burn at 4x. I never touch the computer when a movie is ripping or burning and the only programs I have running are Explorer & Systray. I have since switched back to Win ME and DVD Decrypter works great - it will now burn at the burn speed I select. My DVD-Rs turn out perfect now. Not sure what was wrong with XP, maybe I'll try installing XP again at a later date. Thanks again, this forum rocks!

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

kchev,

While I agree that one should do nothing while encoding and burning because they are so processor intensive It almost inconceivable that opening a web page will cause choppiness and pixelations. I h do have a friend with who that is true but his PC's specs are a Pent III 550MGhz with 256 MB of RAM. using anything remotely better than that not cause the problems you are referring to by opening a web page. While it is true that some screen savers are truly processor intensive, small screen savers as those that come with standard PC won't draw enough to ruin a DVD backup either.

I cannot argue with what you think, the fact is there is nothing at all wrong with DVD Decrypter as a burner. AFA burner control, just because DVD Decrypter doesn't burn VOB files is no reason to say it isn't a good burner. It is in fact an excellent burner, It has more controls than most burning engines giving 1X, 2X, 2.4X, 4X, 6X, 8X, 10X, 12X as well as 16X for DVD burning as well as an optimal layer break for DL discs and user select sectors for the lower layer of a DL disc. A lot more choices than other burning engine.

Because you've had difficulty using it those many of us who use it frequently find it dependable and faultless. Perhaps with a little more use you might change your mind.

Cheers,

Hey there nick26897,

Hey there "Super Dude",

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be lQQking for you -

Sea ya soon,

Pete :b)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  7. russia

russia Member

Hi!
    If I have SCPH-50003 PAL and Swap Magic 2.0 EUR.Will I be able to back-up PS2 game using DVD Decrypter and play it on my PS2?
    I would use Memorex 1x DVD-R.

Thanks everybody.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ russia

Your question has absolutely nothing to do with this thread not to mention it's bad manners to hijack another users thread. For PS2 questions please post in our PS2 forum :)

9. russia

russia Member

sorry!!!

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

scuba pete,

I know this because I have experienced it firsthand encoding avi's to dvd. I didn't touch the computer the whole time until about 85% of encoding was done. I looked up one thing on internet because I was like you and didn't think a few web pages would hurt anything. Low and behold during playback there was one glitch/freeze towards the end of the movie about the same time that I opened the web page on the internet. That was the only glitch on the whole movie. Also with a 3200 Athlon and 512MB ram. It may not happen to everybody, but it can happen. And I don't like glitches in my backups.

Just sharing my experiences also. Just because they haven't happened to everyone doesn't mean they don't happen.

I have also seen when nero 5 wasn't compatible to burn movies for me. I had to use copytodvd because my player wouldn't play movies burnt with nero 5 because of compatibility. That doesn't come up much either with problems but it is a possibility.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  11. nick26897

nick26897 Member

Don't worry SubaPete I'll be back and try to help any newbie I can. If I can help someone and even learn a little something too I'm all for it!

12. wbfconst

wbfconst Regular member

Got to agree with Scuba Pete, I have a P4 220 mgh, and 768 meg. mem. I constantly surf the web, do my bookeeping with Quicken, and work with word, while burning. I never have a problem, except with faulty media, or my system running a bit slower. The only difference there may be, is that I copy everything to an external hard drive, and then burn from it when I get a chance. Regards

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Whooo there Paint,

I never said that doing all that was OK.

I said that opening just a single web page wouldn't cause a messed up a backup with "choppiness and pixelation",

I don't recommend, "Constantly surfing the web, do my bookkeeping with Quicken, and work with word" as things to do while burning.

I recommend letting your PC alone.

Let's not stretch this out of purport ion.

We're talking about two different things.

If we're going to lump things together then I'll have to go with the "don't touch" motto.