1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeCrypter ISO vs File Mode, Which is better and why

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ScubaBud, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I’d like to learn once and for all the why’s and why not’s, (Pro's & Con's), about which method is better for ripping a DVD with DVD DeCrypter, either files to the HD or ISO Mode.

I've also noticed Lightning UK on a thread here and maybe he could shed some light on this as well.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

My opinion on the DVD Decrypter File Mode Vs. ISO Mode subject.

Method 1. Recommended.
    Rip with DVD Decrypter in File Mode.
    DVD Decrypter > Mode > File F
    Then.
    DVD Shrink > Open Files > VIDEO_TS folder

Method 2. Not recommended.
    Rip with DVD Decrypter in ISO Mode.
    DVD Decrypter > Mode > ISO > Read R
    Then.
    DVD Shrink > File > Open Disc Image > .mds file

Method 2 is not recommended because it is just more likely to cause Out of memory or other errors or just stopping or freezing while analysing or encoding in DVD Shrink.
    This is because of DVD's that have multiple angles or combined wide and full screen versions or problem clips like "Running Boy" in the Extras or Unreferenced material.
    DVD Shrink seems to have more problems working with these things, when they are in a ISO file.

If you have already ripped a DVD in ISO mode with DVD Decrypter using method 2, continue with that method.
    DVD Shrink > File > Open Disc Image > .mds file
    If you then get a error in DVD Shrink, try using method 1 instead.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Your the only person ive noticed that says this.Are you basing this on written fact, or just personal experience?
    If you are basing this on fact,can I see the link to this info?
    Im not trying to start something,Im just curious.

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

That is just my opinion.
    It is based on my reading and helping of people having problems with DVD Shrink on this forum.
    And the DVD Shrink Forum.
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48
    And the DVD Decrypter Forum.
    http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/

I have seen quite a few posts by people who ripped with DVD Decrypter in ISO Mode and then had an error in DVD Shrink. Many of those then ripped with DVD Decrypter in File Mode and did not get an error with DVD Shrink. I have even had this happen to myself once.

It seems to happen more often on more complex disc's and the newer ARccOS™ protected disc's. It is often a Out of Memory or Virtual Memory error, but can also be Exception occurred, Invalid handle, Overlapped I/O, Data error (cyclic redundancy check), Etc. The Data error (cyclic redundancy check) is an error you don't expect to get from Files or ISO Disc Image that are on the Hard Drive, but they do seem to get that more often from a ISO.

DVD Shrink was first designed to Open Discs and Open Files. The ability to open a ISO Disc Image was added late in it's development. That might account for getting more error's when using it that way.

ISO files are much larger than VOB files and this may account for having more Out of memory and Virtual Memory error's when using it that way. Also the larger ISO file is more likely to be written in a fragmented state then the smaller VOB files.

It just seems that DVD Shrink has a slightly harder time dealing with memory and I/O problems when the source is a ISO file.

I have ripped many times with DVD Decrypter in ISO Mode and used the Image in DVD Shrink and have only had a problem once, but it seems from what I have seen that more people just do get errors that way. That is why I recommend ripping in File Mode.

But that is just my opinion.

Now when it comes to DVD Shrink Backup settings, and if it is better to use Files or ISO, I have no real opinion. It seems to work well both ways, and is up to the user and the burning program they are using. I happen to make a ISO file and then manually burn that with Nero.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks to both of you for replying. I’m a bit surprised that no one else put in their two cents about this. I was expecting to see a lot of comments and opinions after I came home from work.

If I may ask one more question. If we new for a fact that there would be no problems either way, either ISO or File mode, is there any real advantage to use one over the other or is this just a personal choice? Better quality, faster, etc., or will the net result be exactly the same as far as quality? What I am trying to do here is be able to say, “Well if you do it this way the quality is better,” or “If you do it this way, your total time will be less.” If there is no real difference then the method should be left to user preference. I have also seen written from others a memory issue while using the ISO method, but that again could be people like me discussing what they saw in a previous thread.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Here's my 2 cents: No real difference when you are talking about movies. I experienced the out of memory problem only on the Forgotten, and it had nothing to do with the ISO rip, I had to change the start frame. I use ISO mode for PS2 games (file mode won't work). I think I will just stick with whatever Decrypter is set at when I open it up.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

bump
    Any one else with an opinion on this?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  8. jerryd3

jerryd3 Guest

My experience is that on all of the newer movies, it is by far beeter to use file mode. I have experienced several "out of memory" errors when rippin with ISO

9. jerryd3

jerryd3 Guest

My experience is that on all of the newer movies, it is by far better to use file mode. I have experienced several "out of memory" errors when rippin with ISO

10. jerryd3

jerryd3 Guest

Sorry about the double post! Hard to type when you are holding a spoiled dog.

11. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

i have never used iso mode but i have done over 400 dvds with file mode and never had a problem with that. i have had problems but nothing to do with that. i would go with file mode.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

hehehehehhehehe Ok here's my opinion on the subject..

File mode, and here is why I like it
    I only rip the main movie nothing else cause I don't use all that extra crap anyway. I get a much higher quality movie because I have to do little to no compression on most movies (95%). All I have to do after I have ripped the main movie is go into Shrink and click on reauthor and take out all the extra languages I don't need and hit back up. That is when I put the movie in ISO format because I like to leave the movie on my HD for a month or so just incase something went wrong and I need to re-work it. This way is also much faster than ripping in ISO mode and then opening in Shrink in ISO mode. Of course this is just a prefference I prefer , and you asked. In all actuallity though there should logically be no difference in the overall outcome of doing it in File or ISO mode. I just cut down some time by doing it in file mode because I dont rip the extra junk, but if you are planing on doing the whole disk anyway then you could use either method. Just remember no matter which mode you use the file or files will still be on your HD so be sure and delete them when finished.

13. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Ok, I am just kind of curious here. Do you guys always use decrypter then shrink then decrypter (or Nero if that is what you burn with)? I usually just start with shrink and then go to decrypter to burn. The only times I have started with decrypter is when shrink will not open the disc (The Forgotten). Is there an advantage I am not aware of here? Does decrypter do something different to the files that make a better back up?

Oh, and to stay on topic…….I used to do everything with VOB files, but since I started using decrypter and dropped nero, I only use ISO files. They appear to work better for me. I have far fewer errors than I ever did before. I ask decrypter to verify the disc after each burn and I get the little operation successful sign, with the little song about 95% of the time. The only time I have run into trouble has been on the really BIG discs, like the Lord of the Ring movies. With stuff that big I think the compression is just too much and it causes small errors, but the discs still play fine.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Only difference in doing with Decrypter first really is time you can save a few minutes by ripping with Decrypter first, and Decrypter never fails at ripping where Shrink does. You may have just answered the question with your post though
    I get perfect back ups 100% of the time using Decrypter in file mode so maybe the ISO mode is faulty?

15. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i've burned all of my movies in ISO mode and to the best of my knowlege haven't had any problems. don't really see a reason to burn in file mode unless i start having problems. i don't think one is faster than the other so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ fishbulb
    the thread didn't ask which is better way to burn. He asked which is better for ripping.. Ripping in file mode is faster for sure I have timed both way's several time's (about 20) and everytime ripping in File mode was faster by around 30%.

I to burn my movies in ISO mode. I save them on my HD with Shrink as a image then burn later with Nero or Decrypter.

17. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

My method is always the same.
    DVDD to rip.
    DVDS to shrink.
    DVDD to burn.

For DVD9's, I rip in file mode. For DVD5's, I rip in ISO mode.

I started that way because :worthy: LightningUK (sole DVDD programmer) recommended it be done that way. And I didn't really see why I should rip DVD9's in ISO mode, since Shrink would have to extract the files again, which would create a redundant step in the process.

18. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

sorry 'bout that. i meant to say rip instead of burn. i tend to have more problems/questions about the burning side of things than i do the ripping side so burn was just on my brain. :)

19. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I've also run into the out of memory error in Shrink using an ISO rip. Happened on the Forgotten.

For the most part I use file mode and have no problems at all. I agree that file mode does seem to be a bit faster.

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]Balaam[/bold]
    This makes great sense since there is no need to Shrink a DVD5 movie anyway, keeping it in ISO mode keeps the whole package together the way it was originally. And since there are very few DVD5 movies, (I may have burned three in as many years,) file mode would then seem to be the choice for DVD9.

I also timed both methods and seemed to get about the same time for either and when I was ripping in both methods, I turned on Performance under Task Manager to watch memory usage, 30% of my 1 GB of RAM, and also CPU usage, about 8-11% of my 3.4GHz Northwood over clocked a bit to 3.74GHz.

So I guess the best answer based on what was discussed here is, it’s really a matter of preference for the user and his/her PC.

Just for the record, I use File Mode over ISO, and once on a thread I got my hand slapped for suggesting this mode over ISO, hence the starting of this thread for clarification. To date I have 238 posts and I’m still a newbie. <G>

Thank you all for your input.