1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decrypter Vs. Nero Express

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by F43, Feb 10, 2005.

1. F43

F43 Member

Hello :)

Very much a newbie here, have made 3 back-ups (Fuji Japanese DVD-R) of the same original DVD (3.1GB/NON-CSS). Burning to an external 16X Samsung drive USB 2.0

OK, did the first 2 backups with Nero Express...both backups play fine on computers but NOT on my standalone (get 'Disk Error' when inserted in player)

Getting a little frustrated so thought I'd try my 3rd attemp at burning with DVDDecrypter. I made ISO to harddrive and then burned at 2X (something I was not able to figure out with Nero, any hints for dropping burn speed with Neri? ANYWAY, Good news! This third backup plays (almost) perfect on my standlone! Occasionally playback will skip for split-second but continue, how can I correct this?

Was this success on standlone because of different program or dropped burn speed? Is there ANY advantage to dropping it to 1X? I certainly will if it will increase my back-ups compatability with standalone units?

Looking forward to any experienced help, Regards, F43

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This all has more to do with the media you are using than any other factor..
    Decreasing the burn speed could help if your HD is having a hard time keeping up with your burner or burner keeping up with HD. either way this is pretty common with external burner's. Also Nero has been know to have issues with external burners so burning with Decrypter might be a better idea for now until Ahead can get all the bugs ironed out with Nero, but you could try to install the latest ASPI drivers and give Nero another shot, this could solve your problems.
    It could also just simply be that the Disk you are trying to copy wasen't done that good in the first place.. Best thing to do is to try making a backup of an original DVD and see what happens. Also make sure all your drivers and software are up to date.

Good luck

3. F43

F43 Member

Thanks BBMayoo for the response :)

Which drivers should I be concerned with? Naturally the driver for my External Writer, but any others? Where would I find the latest ASPI drivers? Sorry if this is a VERY obvious question ;) BTW, I am on XP Home with SP2.

Since there are potential problems with Nero (at least in my case) I am staying with Decrypter, I just liked how it worked! Will try and do another backup of an original, will post results. Have not used Shrink before and believe the rest of my collection will require it...hope it goes as planned ;)

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here are the ASPI Drivers http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASPI-4.70

You should be concerned with all your driverd, but pay the most attention to the following for burning
    1. DVD Writer
    2. Video Card
    3. IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers
    See the manufacturer's web site for your Laptop they should supply you with the latest drivers. Again though I am leaning more towards this being the media brand you are using more than anything.