1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decrypting VHS tapes

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by roboman90, Jul 9, 2003.

1. roboman90

roboman90 Member

I have a very large VHS tape collection that I would like to make back-up copies of on DVD.Is there a device or program that can decrypt VHS tapes.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I bought the Pinnacle MovieStudio USB about a week ago to do the same thing. First, you better have a fast machine (Pentium 4 running above 2Ghz), a fast connection (USB 2.0 or Firewire), a big, fast hard drive (2 preferable) with at least 10GB available. I also should tell you that to "render" a DVD from the VHS takes about 6 hrs for each hour of VHS video!!! Pinnacle doesn't tell you that! This time doesn't include capturing, editing, etc. - just sitting there while it converts. But if you just want an mpeg file from your VHS, it's just like recording - play and press record on the software, and you're done.

3. digger

digger Member

Use a tv in card or ati all in wonder card.
    use the video copy box from maplins which removes the macrovision
    Then us the software with the tv in card to encode to mpeg dvd compliant
    If it wont, do the best u can with it then use tmpgenc to encode it to dvd compliant.
    Then use a prog like sonic dvdit to make the dvd with it
    done in 5 hours and written onto dvd
    or if u got a good tv in card 2hr video done in 3 hour written to dvd
    I know cos i convert wedding videos to dvd.

4. roboman90

roboman90 Member

Thanks for the help guys.

5. joski

joski Guest

DogBomb
    Try pinnacle site, i picked up some usefull stuff there, my p4 2.4gig sony rendering (1hr 15min)in 4.5hrs including burning dvdrw(test everything on rw first)
    Biggest problem was menu. now rendering avi, bring it back and adding menu,then render to disc All disks working now (so far)