1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ian_maham, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ian_maham

ian_maham Guest

Hey everyone I was thinking of purchasing Deep Freeze. If I do so will I still need some type of anti virus since the computer will restart fresh everytime it shuts down. And if I do need to keep it how will I keep the Norton Anti virus I already have on my computer without deleting it after I format my hard drive? I dont want to have to pay twice.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

My advice instead of deepfreeze get "returnil" it's free and it will put you in virtual mode without rebooting, you still need to reboot to get out of virtual mode.

I've use deepfreeze and it crash my computer a couple of times and for some reason it won't remember my passwords that I need for logging into websites. But what I like about it was that it always booted frozen so no one can make changes to it. But that was also the weak point for me, I had to reboot to download the latest antivirus updates etc. I do not like to do any unneccesary reboots.

You still need your firewall and antivirus, the virtual system is only the last line of defense. If somethiong penetrates your antivirus it will only exist in virtual memory. With returnil you boot normally download the latest updates than you can engage virtual mode.

try out the "returnil" first before you buy deepfreeze.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_Personal_Edition_d5702.html

3. TechieTom

TechieTom Newbie

@Jony218: Suprised! After reading your reply. May be you have tried older version of Deep Freeze. I'm using recent version of Deep Freeze, with which I can easily update Avira Anti-virus.

@ian_maham: I would like to recommend the Deep Freeze software. It is a must have software for the PC. And it is better to have an anti-virus software with Deep Freeze. It helps in protectecting the run time virus/malware issues. You can easily update your antivirus while Deep Freeze is installed on your machine. Check this video guide :

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

TechieTom, why are you posting to a 6yr old thread?

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Come on ddp, that's what Newbies do to get their post count going. It's called "diggin' up bones". LOL

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

not 6yr old threats as that is called post padding which is a forum rule no no.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, a no no is a no no, that's job security for you.... and we both just padded our posts. he he