1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definitly need some help here plz...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ackerst, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ackerst

ackerst Member

I have a custom built pc that is running windows 2000. Recently when I try to boot up my pc everything goes fine until it gets to the part where you would normally log onto windows then the screen gets totally distorted and just freezes. I can't make out anything thats on the screen. I tried booting up in safe mode and my pc still froze except I didn't get the distorted screen. Again everything shows up fine on the screen until it gets to the part where I would log on. I can see the "windows is starting" screen and everything before that but after that screen everything gets blurry and I can't do anything. Any ideas what could be causing this or what I can do to fix it. I don't have recovery cds or anything. I lost them a long time ago. What do I do? Thanks very much in advance!!!!!

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only thing that comes to mind if you can not even go to safe mode is to get your hands on another copy on Windows and do a fresh reinstall.

3. ackerst

ackerst Member

Ok I can do that. Does it have to be windows 2000 or can I put xp on there instead. And once I get another copy of windows how do I begin the fresh reinstall?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

It can be any copy of windows as long as you make your boot sequence boot from your CD/DVD Drive and then just boot the computer with the disc inside.

Then it will take you through the process of installing the Windows. The fresh install will also ask you if you want to format your disk and that is up to you. I would recommend it due to the fact you are having the system problems and giving it a fresh clean install will give you lesser problems.

5. ackerst

ackerst Member

Ok how do I set my boot sequence to boot from my cd drive? Also, I have a clean copy of windows xp. Do I need to erase windows 2000 from my computer before I install xp? Can you let me know what the first couple of steps to do this are? I want to make sure I don't screw up my pc more than it already is. Thanks again!!

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Well where to start

First you need to go into your bios settings to change your boot sequence and just move your CD/DVD Boot Sequence to check that first in the bios setting.

Once you have setup your boot sequence to be the CD drive then just put the disc in and then the computer will recognize that the disc is in and it will tell you to press any key to boot from CD... just do that and go through the XP Installation.

And that should do it.

7. ackerst

ackerst Member

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Do I need to remove windows 2000 from the pc first? Thanks!

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

In windows XP installation it will give you the option to format your drive and i recommend it. So you can either leave it in or just let XP get rid of it for you by choosing a clean installation,