1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defragment and Disc Clean up not working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mrlovkim, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Info: Win XP Home edition

Whenever I go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup, it launches but then freezes with the status bar near the beginning and never changing. I thought it might take a long while to check all my proper places but I've let it go for over an hour once and nothing happens. Has anyone had this problem?

Defragment does the same thing.

Please help me:(

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you know how to get into safe mode, try disk clean & defrag there. i think you have a program(s) running in background causing problem. run antispyware & antivirus also in safe mode

3. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

How do I get it to safe mode?

4. ddp

you have to restart your computer, on clone computers a black screen comes up showing floppy drive, hd & cdroms, ram & etc. when that screen is displayed press the f8 button at top of key board. than another black screen is displayed giving you different options like normal, safe, network & whatever. press the number on keyboard that coresponds with the number for safe mode. the screen will come up eventually with another screen saying you are in safemode blah blah blah, press enter. when you are finally at your desktop you'll notice the screen doesn't look right because it is displaying only 16 colors & 640x480 instead of whatever your normal setting is. when you are finished disk clean & defrag you'll go to start shutdown & either click shutdown or restart. if restart when computer goes back into windows your original colors & size will be displayed

5. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Ok I did it in safe mode but they still don't work?

This did one other time and I reinstalled windows, do I have to do that again to resolve this?

6. ddp

what anti spyware & antivirus program are you running & if not should, might have virus or spyware on system causing problem, get adaware6 from lavasoft & avg6(free version) from grisoft.com

7. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I use McAfee spyware & antivirus programs and they have not picked up anything.

8. ddp

try the other ones & see what happens, no software is perfect

9. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Ok tried the one so far but it picked up nothing.:(

10. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i had the same sort of problem with a seagate 200 gig drive . it turned out the drive was bad and seagate replaced it for me . if the drive has a bad sector on it and windows cant fix it , its because windows cant find it if its in the free space on the drive , a reformat and reinstall is order if this is the case . this is what seagate told me when i was trying to get the drive to defrag . hope this helps

11. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Try deleting the stuff manually first. You have to empty Recycle Bin,Temporary Folder and Off Line Content.After you get rid of this,try the Defragmenter.

12. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I used that lavasoft adware and I pick up stuff and then I can't remove them so I quanitine items but then they show up again in the next scan,why?

I tried manually deleteing temp files/cookies but defrag and disc cleaner still does not work.

I am confused

13. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

This is a strange one. If you have some bad sectors on the disk as was suggested above, you should try running Error Checking/Scandisk.
    To do this in XP
    Start
    My Computer
    right click the hard drive and click Properties
    Tools
    Error Checking
    check both boxes and reboot computer.
    If all goes well the utility will scan your drive and try to fix the bad spots. If it can't it will set up markers so nothing is written to these spots.
    after it's done try the Disk Clean and Defragmenter.

14. ddp

run adaware6 & your antivirus in safe mode

15. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I am going to try what ianski7 suggested in about an hour but have tried running alll the virus and adware scans in safe mode and they picked up nothing.:(

I really want to avoid reinstalling my windows.

16. ddp

if?? you have to reload windows, try reloading it on top of self, might solve problem & you don't have to do everything from scratch

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you have to load XP again, back up any files that you need to save, set your BIOS to boot up with your CD drive or DVD drive, put the XP disk in the drive, save changes in BIOS, and get out.

When it boots from the XP disk, and you get to the part to install Windows, if it is on partition C:, delete the partition. It will go through a couple of screens, asking if you really want to do that. Say yes, each time. Then, you will get the option to re-create that partition, and again say yes. Then it will format the partiton for you and install XP.

You will have to re-install all of your drivers and software, but this is still the best way to install XP. DO NOT install over the previous version. You may not have a problem, but most people find they have more problems than they can shake a stick at when they install over a previous installation.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  18. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member