1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deinterlace question of settings

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by folio, Apr 29, 2003.

1. folio

folio Member

Hi,

well i have searched the Forum and not found anything on Gordian Knot and Divx deinterlace. I have some epxerience in making rips but must admit ive still perplexed by deinterlace. Could anyone out there help me out? the question is if i need to deinterlace(some say its not necessary even though DVD2avi says it interlaced) how do i do thru Gordian Knot (save and encode part)or the config of the Divx codec? (i.e. tick the Basic Deinterlace option)? Ive deinterlaced and not noticed one bit of difference? maybe its because ive not configured the options right, but in saying that ive never seen the black lines interlacing is supposed to produce!?
    thanks for any enlightenment in advance
    folio
    p.s. Gordian Knot is complicated at first but the best out there its gotta be said...!

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Im not too sure on how to use gordian knot but i know that it uses avisynth to frameserve the movie. I went to the doom 9 site and in their divx guides they say that Field Deinterlace is the best option for interlaced material. I personally use avisynth and virtual dub and when i do my anime rips which are mostly interlaced i use donald graft's decomb filter to deinterlace it and it has done a great job.

3. folio

folio Member

Chhers for that advice Powerdup, its come in handy, they do say Field Interlace in the Godian guide but my query was really to do with whether its better to do the deinterlace command thru the codec or the program itself, up till now ive been doing thru the program and leaving the divx 5 codec deinterlace options alone?! think thats about right..msut be cos the results are pretty alright must say! cheers again for the back up!
    folio

4. Hotalot

Hotalot Guest

I use Gknot and VirtualDub. If the film is FILM in DVD2AVI I use ForceFilm. If it is NTSC I use TomsMoComp deinterlace in the avs script (in Gknot: Resolution/Save then Sharp Bicubic and TomsMoComp.
    In the Divx config I use ALWAYS "encode as progressive".
    It's the only (good) way it works for me.

5. folio

folio Member

I always encode as Progessive in the Divx options. Hotalot do you use the latest Gordian 0.28 with Divx Pro 5.0.5 codec? Im not too sure if its that great? Maybe I got to tweak the settings a bit but in some ways it doesnt seem as sharp as Divx Pro 5.0.2...but then again ive only encoded two films with the new Divx 5.0.5 codec! so its early days yet!

let me know what you think....cheers for the feedback
    folio

6. Hotalot

Hotalot Guest

Yes, I use the last Gknot 0.28 and Divx 5.05.
    I don't see any differences in quality between Divx 5.02 and 5.05. The difference I see is that 5.05 doesn't tops early like the 5.02 version. I mean: you can set a higher bit rate with the 5.05 and it follows it nicely.
    I usually aim for a 2100MB film so that after muxing and adding subtitles I get a 2300MB film. That way I can burn 2 fims in a single DVD-R with great quality.
    Cheers!

7. folio

folio Member

hey hotalot,
    cheers for the reply got a question how do you crop resolution in Gordian? manually or smart crop? suppose to do it in 2's as well no? i know this is a bit cheeky but what settngs do you use in 0.28 and the new divx 5 codec?! im not sure...but reckon that the 5.0.2 codec is better in sharpness...but maybe its cos the way i got gordain configured....but i i sont think i know the program pretty well...anyway any feedback on what settings you use might be useful as a reference...
    cheers in advance
    folio

8. Hotalot

Hotalot Guest

Hi! I use smart crop mostly. Sometimes I get a horrible image during the preview. In those cases I crop manually.
    I think the difference in sharpness you see depends of ffdshow and divx decoder settings.