1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleted My Xbox Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by buu2, Apr 8, 2007.

1. buu2

buu2 Member

I need help asap. I recently got xbox live, and wanted to play it. So I went about uninstalling xmbc as my dashboard under evox softmod.

First, I just uninstalled evox through splinter cell install/uninstall method. I went to MS dashboard and got the need a repair error.

Then, I reinstalled with unleash X and deleted the xbmc files in the C and E drive and replaced them with the backup MS drive. I then deleted the Backup drive. I deleted everything in C drive replacing it with the MS dashboard, and everything in the E drive except for Tdata, Udata, and Cache. I tried to delete the XYZ folders, but it wouldn't let me. I then restarted my xbox, and it boot into Unleash X!!! But not unleash X. It says the E drove can't find a file and can't boot into unleash. Press A to continue (insert DISC is mentioned too). I have no disk, I have no dashboard, I can't access FTP, I can play normal games, but none of the few backups or xbmc homebrew I had. Please help me.

What can I do to get out of this cycle? How can I get back into XBMC? Do I need a special File to burn to cd? Lastly, can I play xbox live after I softmod and uninstall or will I always get that error since it is a live exploit.

Finally, I was basing the uninstalling off of this thread
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...426328&st=0

Specifically these lines:

2) I used a 'virtual c:', used an exploitable game + gamesave/installer.

# Things needed : exploitable game, original MS dash (from backup or Slayers (xbins)), PC + FTP COnnection.

* Coldboot using your exploitable game
    * Load the gamesave you used to mod
    --> You should now have FTP access.
    * connect to your xbox through FTP.
    * Delete everything on C:
    * Delete everything on E: , except E:\Tdata en E:\Udata
    * FTP your original MS dash to C:
    * Reboot
    --> Your xbox boots now to original dash.

Once again, Thank you very much.

Edit: I have the error message in front of me.

There is a skull and crossbones at the top. It says error 22 dashboard xbe not found. cant find e dash default.xbe and evoxdash.xbe.

Press A to reinstall dashboard from a backup

Info: ShadowC is unmounted due to this menu being active by the press of "A" It will reinstall dash installed on the soft mod menu. If you had dual boot where it loaded from e dashboard, please use the "DISC" to install dashboard to that directory.

For the love of God please help. Thanks.

BTW, I can play normal and backuped games, but their is no real dashboard. Upon ejecting the disk, it goesback to the error message.

2. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

there are a couple options
    option one:use a slayer or AID disk
    option two:hot swap!

i would pick option one

to do this you need

1.a computer with a torrent downloader,something to unzip rar files, and a iso burner

you can get it all for free :)

and then get some CD-RW

now go to google and type in slayer auto installer torrent

and pick one...now download it

then unzip it with winrar or something

then get the iso file and get it to burn to ISO onto a cd-rw

then put the disk into your xbox and then download from the disk

there should be things on there that let you repair c: drive to factory settings...then there are MANY other choices like getting emulators and programs that all work onto your xbox without FTP

p.s. i would get the windows iso burner because all you do is Right click the file and pick burn iso and then its pretty much ready...its very easy to use....if you have more problems message me or just repost :)

3. buu2

buu2 Member

Thanks. I actually figured it out. I just put splinter cell back in and created an ip and ftp'd the stuff back over. My last question is; do you know of any way to create an xbox live account after softmodding. I'm fine with uninstalling but I tried that yesterday, and even after successfully deleting everything except the ms dashboard, i was unable to create an xbox live account. Whenever I went into the xbox account registration on the ms dashboard the message "please see help. Your xbox is damaged" came up. Am I unable to use xbox live since I already softmodded? Thanks for the help

4. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

To turn off softmod

1. Put game used to softmod in disk try (close disk tray)

2. Boot game

3. Enter the Linux profile

4. there should be a "Turn on/of soft mod" button

5. buu2

buu2 Member

Thank you, but I can't find what you are talking about. I softmodded (dual boot) with unleash X using splinter cell. I am in N-dure installer and it doesn't mention anything about disabling the softmod. Lastly, btw, when I start the machine with an open disk tray, it goes to the ndure installation screen instead of the MS dashboard. When I start with a closed disk tray, it goes to XBMC like I want it to. Again, thanks for helping me, but there was no turn on/off softmod option.

Lastly, my question is why won't xbox live even try? Why does it go to your xbox must be repaired screen even after I delete everything? Thanks again.

6. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

you probley deleted important xbox documents you need to access live so i would just get the slayer disk that i was talking about and install the the whole c drive back to it because then you wont be missing any files it will be back to factory setting.

7. buu2

buu2 Member

Ok. But the slayer site explicitlly says no softmod support which is what i have. Are you sure it's what i need? I softmodded my box, not modchipped it.

8. buu2

buu2 Member

Also, I just opened the file and everything it comes with is standard on a softmodded box. Im using unleash x with xbmc on a softmodded box right now. It comes with all these apps to play region free dvds, use ftp, play emulators, and a bunch of stuff ive already been spoiled with. I don't think thats the right thing for me or the solution to my problem. Thanks for helping though.

9. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

well i have the disk and slayer 2.7 supports the mods...trust me i have been through it before.. my xbox is modded with evox and i insert the disk and it gives me many many options..like restore xbox to factory settings to install evox as main dash w/ all apps and xbmc... so yeah its not like im telling you something i dont know...

*words of advice* dont be stupid and mess with/delete your c drive files or you E:backups/ms cause thats stupid..its like asking to mess up your xbox

10. buu2

buu2 Member

Did you hard mod or softmod your xbox? Also, I fixed my first problem and am currently running xbmc. When I did fix everything, I made sure to wipe my drive clean (once i figured what was wrong and using the splinter cell linux installer to connect via ftp). Could the problem have something to do with Live being used as the glitch?

Lastly, if you still push this for me as a softmod user despite the warnings ([NEW] SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer version 2.7 (no SoftMod support!)http://slayer.xbox-scene.com/forum/) I couldn't find 2.7 on torrent and currently have 2.6 on my hard drive. Thanks again. I just want to be careful. All I need right now is xbox live up and running.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

AID 3.1 was designed for people with softmods, and Slayer 2.7 was designed for people who have a modchip. but if all you are doing is the basics like installing programs or backing up your EEPROM so you can FTP it to your PC (a very good idea to keep a copy on your PC because if anything goes wrong that is the only thing you will need for XboxHDM to be able to build your hard drive back to retail on your PC) Some people back up their whole C: folder which is also not a bad idea. I personally have always liked Slayer better as i find it easier to use and understand. Just make sure you read the very large PDF instruction book it comes with, and do not use any function if you do not know EXACTLY what it dos.

12. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

i have a softmod and it was made for hardmods but it also supports softmods... i dont know where you get all your info from but i guess just get AID if your really worried about it.

13. buu2

buu2 Member

well; I downloaded the cd and burned it fine. I booted it up on my xbox fine and went to restore to factory settings. It told me to back everything up so I did. I then allowed the process, and waited till it completely finished restoring to default. I then took the cd out and rebooted, and guess what I got! I got the skull and crossbones from unleash X trying to boot and missing all of it's files. Now I'm back to square one. Before I start over, on my ftp (connected via the disk), everything seems empty yet my xbox still insists on booting unleash x. When I boot with an open disk slot, it says my xbox needs repairs. What should I do? I'm leaving my xbox temporarily crippled waiting for your answer. Thanks.

14. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

when it says repairs it should give you a number on the top left...that number is an error code so look that up and you might be able to repair it all by hotswapping...i have never done that but there are TONS of tutorials on how to do it.

15. blake123

blake123 Guest

16. buu2

buu2 Member

*********. I am so screwed now! Listening to your advise, I used the slayer disk to delete everything and try to bring back the xbox dashboard. While checking through it's ftp, it did indeed delete all files, Unleash still tries to boot and I get the skull and crossbones with error 22. The only thing I could find on UnleashX error 22 is this thread. So then, predicting your future advise, I tried installing evox and xbmc via the slayer cd. No good. Upon installation, I rebooted...into the skull and crossbones.

I am currently uninstalling the installed crap from the slayer disk, then ftping over krazie's splinter cell linux save since I can't get into the normal ms dashboard anymore. All my gamesaves are gone because I only just understood where the saves are stored (Udata). Now all my data is gone, I'm upset, and I still don't have xbmc. I'll post an update in the next day or two if I get anywhere.

Edit: Nevermind; i guess I can't. I copied the files but they don't show up when I load splinter cell. I feel more defeated than ever.

Edit again: Now I'm confused but slightly happy. I needed to update my dashboard in order to install evox again. while i was doing that, it invited me to sign up for xbox live. I happily accepted as it's the farthest I've ever gotten. I'm stuck for a few hours on the credit card step but I really hope this works. My question is, if I sign up for xbox live, is coldbooting on my f***ed up xbox going to work? I coldboot backups and they work, and I can't access any dashboard currently.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  17. Jinx2011

Jinx2011 Guest

ok i would use xplorer 360 and use these files i will give you of the oringle microsoft dash and oringle everything give me your im and i will
    upload the file for you to download and hotswap the files to the xbox hdd

18. buu2

buu2 Member

Good news! I set up xbox live successfully through halo 2. I currently still don't have a dashboard, but my prime problem has been solved. I downloaded some levels and played a quick match, and it all works. Thanks again. Today or tommorow, I'll work on getting my dashboard back, but I'm pretty happy. Thanks a lot.

19. buu2

buu2 Member

Wow. I am shocked. Things just get weirder and weirder. I can't seem to have things normal.
    After trying again and again, I finally set up xbox live and was playing it happily today. Now that I had xbox live, I decided I would try to get xbmc and evoX back. The MS dash backup refused to be created, so I just dragged and dropped via ftp one that I had backuped up originally. I then successfully installed evox and dropped my old xbmc dashboard into the e folder. It also worked fine.

But!!! Suddenly, I cold boot halo 2 and it can't connect to xbox live! I troubleshoot, and it goes into the green letters/black background "your xbox is broken. Please get it repaired screen." I'm so close I I. This close!!! I want both xbox live and xbmc. I am willing to do almost anything. Please help me solve my final problem. Thank you.

Edit: Great. So I went from having no xbox live, to setting it up successfully and playing, to then trying to reinstall evox (i used ndure dual boot install-is that the problem) and xbmc, to nothing working again. When I got the error message, I decided to try to uninstall evox and delete the xbmc dashboard. After doing that, however, my xbox still decided not to work. It still gives me the error screen and xbox live doesn't work. I currently don't have any softmod installed and I feel screwed. Why won't xbox live work? It worked great a few hours ago. The only thing i did in the meantime was install and uninstall evox and xbmc. Please answer me soon. I want your help. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  20. handsom

handsom Regular member

Did you at any point make backups of the drive data on your pc or a disc? If so, you could use xboxhdm to restore it to what would probably be a much more stable point.

If not, there's a good chance that you're going to need a chip to get that system working again.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007