1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting Duplicate Files ( How TO ?? ) Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by helpme01, Dec 26, 2007.

1. helpme01

helpme01 Member

I am running Windows XP Home Edition, and i am curious if this version comes with any Duplicate File Detection and or ( deletion ) programs that might be hidden in the System Tools registry. the issue i have is searching the entire comp for duplicate files, this comp is only 2 years old, and is still relatively new. I am curious as how to clean them up... One problem i have is when i attempt to run the "disk cleanup", the computer seems to freeze 5% into the scan and i always have to exit the task.

2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

If you're uncomfortable editing the registry. Go to the link below and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.
    Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" not the underscored word "Undo".
    "To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Get back to me afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  3. helpme01

helpme01 Member

I am not sure if anything happened when i attempted to install and run the link... i saved it when it prompted me to... a window appeared asking me if i wanted to add the file to the registry, i said ok then after that , another window opened and said the file has been added to the registry, when i clicked "run" the same thing happened i then went to my disk cleanup, to see if this was added and could not find it, am i doing anytihng wrong, how do i run this program?

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

After installing the fix, does your Disc Cleanup work now? You say the computer is two years old. Have you ever performed a complete system recovery since you've had it?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  5. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member