1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jazo132, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Hey all. I just bought a brand new laptop and I immediately took it out of the box and deleted all traces of Internet Explorer I found on it. But, for some reason, I keep getting pop-ups of sites on Internet Explorer. I'm not sure why this still happens because I deleted the program in the CP. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Thanks in advance.

Jazo

2. DakotaFan

DakotaFan Regular member

As far as I know, there is no way of completely deleting Internet Explorer. However, you can disable it. To do this, go to Start. Click Set Program Access and Defaults. Choose Custon and go to where it says Choose a default Web browser. Next to Internet Explorer, uncheck where it says Enable access to this program and make sure Use my current Web browser is marked, then click OK. That's it!

3. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Okay, thank you, seems to be working so far. :)

4. DakotaFan

DakotaFan Regular member

No problem =)

5. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

thats the spirit get rid of i explorer and use firefox :)

6. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

LOL, yea of coarse, I just recently have been starting to get IE popups again though, idk wut to do. It's not really a huge deal, just every once and a while one comes up. Is there any other way to get rid of these? Thank you.

7. DakotaFan

DakotaFan Regular member

Have you tried scanning for spyware/adware/malware? If not, I would do that. Also, try cleaning your registry.
    Personally, these are the programs I use: Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware, ewido anti-malware and Registry Mechanic
    Just because you disabled IE, doesn't mean it gets rid of all the nasty stuff you get with IE. There are probably still some traces of things that you want to get rid of. I would do these things I just mentioned and I agree that Firefox is a great choice. I use it too.

8. rav009

rav009 Active member

What do you mean by "pop-up's", do you mean pop up's as in "FREE IPOD" or as in when you click a hyperlink it pop's up with IE?

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

are you sure the popups are IE related? they are without a doubt coming up in an IE window? do you have a popup blocker? how about your firewall?

10. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

@DakotaFan
    I currently am using AVG Antivirus and so far it reads no viruses. I also use Ad-Aware and no issues there either. I am pretty careful with my laptop because it is new and I really don't want to screw it up lol.

@rav
    It actally is like the first one you mentioned. Stuff like "free this" or "free that". And they just come out of nowhere, not when I click on anything.

@Aussie
    Yeah I'm 100% sure they are IE related, and I am currently not using a firewall on my computer, I usually don't. I tried ZoneAlarm once but I don't really like it. And I have my FireFox popup blocker on and as I said I can't use a popup blocker for IE because I deleted it from my computer.

Not a huge problem, just an annoying little thing that I can do without. Thanks for the replies all.

Jazo

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, a firewall is really important. sounds like some kind of spyware to me,though.

12. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Yeah, not sure, Ad-Aware doesn't pick up anything though.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

spybot is important, too. maybe post a HJT log.

14. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Okay. I may post a HjT log tomorrow. Thanks!

15. FartDude

FartDude Guest

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

A firewall is your only real protection from any attack from the net it's more important than your antivirus,you have one installed it's in the "security centre" in control panel,it came with the SP2 update,i suggest you enable it before reconnecting to the net,to date windows firewall has never had an attack against it,tho i prefer zone alarm as it has more functionality and works extremely well so far.
    Apart from updating windows at windows update you need to update the antivirus ware as well as any spyware scanners,also update microsoft office if installed etc

For more on internet security go to cnet there are articles there you need to read

Again i cannot stress to you how important it is to have a firewall installed and enabled,it would be like firemen going into a raging inferno dressed only with shorts,teeshirt and jandals=(thongs)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  17. rav009

rav009 Active member

Jazo,

ATF-Cleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune from here. Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.

Please post a HJT (HijackThis) log, to do so, follow theese simple instructions:

Download HJT from HERE

Please make a new folder to put your HijackThis.exe into. Anywhere on your hard drive is fine other than your Desktop or the Temp folder. We suggest you use something like "C:\Program Files\HijackThis" but feel free to use any name. See here for specific instructions and screen shots to help:
    http://russelltexas.com/malware/createhjtfolder.htm

This is to ensure it makes the necessary backups for recovery if needed.

Run the HijackThis.exe file and choose to run a "Full System Scan And Save Logfile"in a matter of seconds you should see a notepad document pop up (the logfile), copy and paste thar log file into a reply here.

18. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

[bold]Here's the HjT log:[/bold]

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 4:39:44 PM, on 9/29/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1157074377\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Pavilion Webcam\HPWebcam.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\HPQ\Shared\HPQTOA~1.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zango\zango.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Justin Azevedo\Desktop\Software Setup\µTorrent Setup.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles\mnybbsvc.exe
    c:\program files\common files\aol\1157074377\ee\aim6.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\JUSTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q306&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q306&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q306&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q306&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Alcohol Toolbar Helper - {0ACF00E0-C1E4-4F6B-B290-10AC7505C47A} - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Toolbar\v3.0.0.0\AudioGizmo_Toolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Zango Search Assistant Helper /fleok=1D8A83A5C0EC187C98AB75760EA83FA5EF80752B94E2DF7E5D7F4F2139CE - {56F1D444-11BF-4879-A12B-79CF0177F038} - C:\DOCUME~1\JUSTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\hoo15.tmp
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Alcohol Toolbar - {DC59A0D4-0ED6-4A73-B356-1B977F2A7725} - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Toolbar\v3.0.0.0\AudioGizmo_Toolbar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Zango Toolbar - {EA0D26BD-9029-431A-86E0-83152D67828A} - C:\Program Files\Zango Programs\Zango Toolbar\ZangoTB.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /nodetect
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] CHDAudPropShortcut.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecGuard] C:\Windows\SMINST\RecGuard.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Windows\CREATOR\Remind_XP.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1157074377\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zango] "c:\program files\zango\zango.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    O4 - Startup: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Registration.lnk = C:\Documents and Settings\Justin Azevedo\Local Settings\Temp\{4E18F8E3-7CED-461A-82ED-26B219B5D91F}\{907B4640-266B-4A21-92FB-CD1A86CD0F63}\ATR1.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Pavilion Webcam Tray Icon.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Photosmart Premier Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q306&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

19. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Im not an expert with hijackthis logs .... but, the zango.exe dosent sound good :/

20. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest