1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 19 inch monitors not working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Nelmeco, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Hello, I recently obtained two 19 inch dell monitors and when I hook them up i either get no picture, or the picture is there for a second or so and flickers, then shuts off to power saving mode. Is there anything that can be done to fix them?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Did you get them from a dumpster? Maybe you found out why they were in there.

3. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Dad owns his own business, these were left over in the office, and I get all his old hardware :)

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Are you sure it's the monitors at fault? It is possible that the refresh rate is wrong and they are automatically going into standby because of that. Have you tried connecting each to a PC and observing the whole boot process, choosing to go into safe mode by pressing F8 at boot time? That would verify that they can do standard VGA timings. Have you played around with buttons, the onscreen menus, etc?

Have you asked Dad why they were left over? (Good stuff rarely gets left lying around)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

possible monitor video cable has a break in it thereby causing it to go into power saving mode as it doesn't see the videocard.