1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 5150 Primary IDE

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Gdot73, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

Ive been researching the Xbox hotswap mod and today got round to trying to do it when i found my PC has SATA cables for the HDD. Now my question is does my PC have a primary IDE slot that i could hotswap to the Xbox? i need to keep a cd drive connected up though. I have a Dell Dimension 5150. Heres a pic of the mother board:[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yes it does. At present your 2 optical drives are running on one ide channel, you could disconnect both of them, plug your hard drive in as a master (on the end of the cable) then one optical drive as a slave (middle of the cable), job done. Looking at your system though, you would probably have to unscrew the hard drive and bring it closer to the optical drives because the cable won't reach to plug them both in.

Another thing, the ide socket at the bottom of the board, bottom of your picture, is that IDE2 (or IDE1 if yours starts from IDE0) or is it a floppy IDE (smaller)? If it is a normal IDE socket you could just use that instead and leave everything else as it is.

3. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

Its a floppy IDE unfortunately

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

Ok, well you should be able to do one optical and the hard drive on the same ide channel as I described above, just make sure the jumper settings on the hard disk are so to master (and that it's on the end of the cable) and that the optical drives jumpers are set to slave (and that it's on the middle of the cable).

Another thing I just thought of, I assume that your hard drive doesn't have both ide and sata connections? At first I assumed it would have since mine do, you might need to get an IDE hard drive to do this then.

5. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

No it doesnt have both types of connection but i have an old HDD that has IDE connection if i could use that?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on dells, the drives are usually jumpered cable select but try both ways to see which works.

7. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yeah you can use that.

8. Gdot73

Gdot73 Member

im a bit confused, why do i need the IDE HDD?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member