1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell dimension 5150 reinstalled xp now mouse wont work help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by millym2, Jan 29, 2012.

1. millym2

millym2 Member

Hi & Help!!
    Have just reinstalled XP on our Dell dimension 5150 desktop. Now the mouse isnt recognised and wont work. Ive been searching online including the dell support site for a driver or something to help fix the problem but keep going round in circles ( im using my laptop to search and write this) I just cant find anything to help - most sites want to scan your computer to find drivers to help but we cant use the desktop and having this laptop scanned for a driver isnt going to work. I did find a suggestion to download a chipset something download so i treid that but now cant find where its been saved on this laptop. I was going to copy onto a usb stick and load onto the desktop- but cant even do that.
    Any suggestions?? Any links to somewhere i can get help without having to fork out some money??
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. millym2

millym2 Member

should have said it seems to be a common problem with these computers but i cant find any simple easy to follow help
    thanks agin

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

any unknown devices or exclamation marks in device manager? ps2 or usb mouse?

4. millym2

millym2 Member

hi no exclamation mark and its a usb mouse, we've tried 2 different mice but no joy.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is your usb ports enabled in the device manager as not a mouse issue but usb ports issue?

6. bill_in_pei

bill_in_pei Member

I dont know if its as good as it once was but when I worked in IT the best FREE site I found for getting the right drivers was
    driverguide dot com
    (as a new user I'm not permitted to post that link in its correct format! but I'm sure you'll get the picture)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    When you click on the link to download the chipset, RIGHT (not LEFT) mouse click on it and youll see the name of the file - so not only will you easily be able to locate it but you can designate the destination folder on your laptop

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    ok, so therefore the USB port(s) can read the stick but just doesnt recognize the mouse? I assume you know how to navigate into folders and how to open dialogue boxes by using the keyboard (instead of a mouse). Thats a good start! So, the quickest way to the Device Manager by keyboard is to run sysdm.cpl & navigate to each USB entry in the Device Manager and review the Properties to see if Windows says a controller or hub has a problem. But if Windows sees your stick I dont think itll admit theres a problem so Id uninstall each one to see what happens. On reboot, Windows will find everything you "uninstalled" and automatically reinstall. If that doesnt work, seeing as Windows does see your other USB devices, if you want a quick cheap fix with no more hassle the USB transmitter of a wireless mouse should work fine.