1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell dimension 8100

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Oct 12, 2011.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am rebuilding 2 units. Neither replacement board has the cpu installed. My issue is that my existing chips seem to fall into the 423 socket incorrectly. The chip is supposed to have ONE beveled edge and ONE marking to align with pin 1 of the socket. In my case the chip falls into the socket only in one orientation, apparently incorrectly. It is oriented 45 degrees AWAY from pin 1. Please provide me with details as to the markings on the chip and socket. There is NO video. I have replaced cards, reinstalled OS. no change. I think the chip installation has something to do with this issue. Photos would help or a quality drawing. Thanks. Move as needed.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

absolutly. after i wrote the post i found phoyos of the socket and chip. pin 1 is at the lower left corner in reference to the wide top part of the socket. the locking bar is on the same side of pin 1. despite the many gold markings the chip fits into the socket only one way. this is the first time i am doing this. the boards i am getting do not have the chip install. i would have liked to be able to get a complete board, all cards, cpu, chip installed, but such a board is apparently not available.

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

after i wrote my first reply i looked at the pages that your link took me to. a comparison of the drawings to the actual chip confirms that the beveled edge of the chip IS turned 45 degrees to the right in reference to the board it is mounted to while the triangle gold mark IS oriented to pin 1 on the socket. exactly opposit of the drawings. since the chip installs in only one orientation i have no choice as to how to install it. since these towers did work in the past i can only presume that the chip and socket are correct and my issue lies elseware.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how many sticks of rambus ram are you using?

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I was told that the drawing in the documentation is generic in nature and not representative of the actual INTEL chip physical appeaerence. Since the chip fits the zif in only one orientation I was told that as long as the board is undamaged, new board coming, chip not damaged, can match cards, I should be able to rebuild the tower to a working condition.