1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Graphics Card Update

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ncllb33, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ncllb33

ncllb33 Member

Hi,
    I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and was wondering what a good(modest)and compatable graphics card update would be? Id prefer staying with Nvidia unless there is a better option. I know my way around a computer but unfortunately do not know much about a graphics card update, especially wiht a Dell machine. Thanks.

System spec:
    3.2 GHZ
    1GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 256MB

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

3. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Go to Newegg and search for PCI-Express video cards. From there you can determine the chipset that you want (NVIDIA, ATI, etc.) I honestly prefer ATI, found them to be a lot better than NVIDIA. You can also narrow it down by your budget. Also, depending on what games you plan on playing, you may want to upgrade RAM to 2GB. 1GB of dual-channel RAM will run you around 50-70. Hope this helps!

4. ncllb33

ncllb33 Member

Thanks alot guys.

5. ncllb33

ncllb33 Member

What about power supply, what would I have to upgrade to if I was looking at a GeForce 8600?
    I have 350W now, someone told me to at least upgrade to a 400W power supply.

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yeah, the main companies PSUs are pretty bad, so usually every time you add something new you need to buy a new one. You should look for something from Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, to name a few.